Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Minux G6ET

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LMAO, wow. I thought the I6 was good on fuel, clearly I was wrong lol.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
nice car, cant wait to get my hands on a falcon of the boosted variety :)

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice car man. Not a fan of the shape, nor am i a fan of the VE shape. But your right about comfort etc. Haven't had a lot to do with them but the few trips I've had as a passenger has been nice. Havent been in a turbo yet though, only the ba xr6t (which suprised me). Build quality and styling much better than the VE. Still rather my VN though :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I like the white. It looks stylish and suits the car well.

After a few years of looking at FG's, I have a question.

Why are they selling so poorly compared to the Commodore? They're at least as attractive (subjective opinion, I know), well equipped, perform excellently, plenty of space and from what I can recall from road tests, are at least Commodore's equal for handling and comfort.

Yet they are selling at a rate less than half that of Commies these days. Why?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I like the white. It looks stylish and suits the car well.

After a few years of looking at FG's, I have a question.

Why are they selling so poorly compared to the Commodore? They're at least as attractive (subjective opinion, I know), well equipped, perform excellently, plenty of space and from what I can recall from road tests, are at least Commodore's equal for handling and comfort.

Yet they are selling at a rate less than half that of Commies these days. Why?

I have no idea. I guess the VE is hugely propped up by the taxi industry, fleets etc. Would be interesting to view private sales against private sales.

In all seriousness and I know this is a commodore site, it is certainly not to do with the build quality or performance as the ford has this all over holden in this build. I woul dhave a guess at saying the sales are down more than they should be for one major factor, no station wagon. I can list 10 families I know who bought a holden wagon because ford doesnt have one...now how many businesses have also switched?

I also think the scares of an FWD model only would make long term buyers (people who finance a car over 5 years) think about things.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
went to the calder park drags and there was a few FG turbo falcons there, obviously modded but they seem a good thing.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have no idea. I guess the VE is hugely propped up by the taxi industry, fleets etc. Would be interesting to view private sales against private sales.

In all seriousness and I know this is a commodore site, it is certainly not to do with the build quality or performance as the ford has this all over holden in this build. I woul dhave a guess at saying the sales are down more than they should be for one major factor, no station wagon. I can list 10 families I know who bought a holden wagon because ford doesnt have one...now how many businesses have also switched?

I also think the scares of an FWD model only would make long term buyers (people who finance a car over 5 years) think about things.

Actually, after posting, I thought of a couple of things. The lack of a wagon was one, the Mondeo, which Ford advertises as its wagon model now, is the other. Unfortunately for Ford, the Falcon and Mondeo are very similar in frontal appearance and the Falcon also suffers from being a bit too much in appearance like the model it replaced. It would be interesting to see how combined Mondeo/Falcon and Territory sales stack up, because the Terra probably steals Falcon sales too.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

The problem is Ford have a long and distinguished history of product under-development leaving new models way too long between drinks and then using the inevitable decline of sales as reason why to ditch the model. First it was the LDT/Fairlaine which had the Australian limo market stitched up from 1965 till the late 90's, then it was the wagon and now more recently the XR8.

Not one of these markets are large by any extent but if you add the 3 together Broadmeadows would be far better off. The signs were there 25 years ago when they released the EA falcon but stayed with the XD-F ute with a half baked attempt at putting the later model fronts on it. Ford had the ridiculous situation of selling a near 20 year old design when they finally updated it to the AU cab chassis which was an excellent product (looks not withstanding).

As for the quality - well I think we need to agree to disagree on that one. I recently looked at the FPV products side by side with the HSV and found them similar. Overall it was more a matter of personal preference rather than any glaring differentiation. I have checked out a few of the rep's base models and xr6's (etc) and found them pretty much on par with the Commodore. My friend has a 2 yo G6E turbo which seemed pretty much on a par with a Calais V at the time to me.

Like a few threads doing the rounds of late - I think the Falcon is a great product as is the Commodore and it's more a personal preference thing rather than 1 being clear cut better than the other.

Reaper

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Add to the fact people who want a ford v8 (not fpv) have no where to go now except for holden because not all of them want a turbo 6. Even when ford had the xr8, the 5.4 was pretty piss poor imo compared to the ls motors stock and then raped when mods came into the fray. Now they are just paying for it