Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missfire cyl 2 4 6, loss of power, stalling when hot

wetherow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II sv6 SIDI 2011
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Series II sv6 LLT SIDI 3.6L commodore. it's been looked after but has recently developed a significant missfire.

prior to the missfire it had been throwing catalytic converter codes for bank 1 and 2 regularly but never had any issues for almost a year.

fuelled the car up at a different petrol station than usual then the miss fire started. it has codes P0300 P0302 P0304 P0306 and the check engine light flashed when accelerating and is super rough. when starting the car from cold it is OK and idles ok with slight vibration. after it's reached temp and driving around the block it missfires hard and stalls on low revs or slow speed like stopping at an intersection. when trying to start it again it struggles to turn over and sometimes won't turn over like the battery is flat but the battery is fine.

I have replaced the coils and plugs a year ago. I took the air intake off, throttle body, and manifold and found a bit of oil in the big plastic tube coming from the throttle body to the air filter (not sure if that means anything). I've looked at the cams and chains they seem ok, couldn't see any broken valve springs. I have taken the timing chains off and am going to replace them anyway as I thought it might be that. I'm not sure if it is now, any other ideas?

cobbycob

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline
I’ve come across this issue before on a VZ same codes and same faults, it ended up being solder joins on the ecu coming unstuck when the heat finally soaked into it, if you want to confirm the fault, boil your kettle and poor hot water onto the ecu while it’s cold and see if it starts faulting

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
do a comprssion test

wetherow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II sv6 SIDI 2011
so I've replaced the timing chain and reassembled the engine, all went well but now after reconnecting the battery the red security icon on the dash is on and the car won't start. keys don't work and no other light is on the dash. any ideas, I have tried all tips and tricks and have checked all cables they are ok.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try turning ignition to reds
then press lock /unlock on remote
try turning ignition to reds, then off
then press lock /unlock on remote

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
so I've replaced the timing chain and reassembled the engine, all went well but now after reconnecting the battery the red security icon on the dash is on and the car won't start. keys don't work and no other light is on the dash. any ideas, I have tried all tips and tricks and have checked all cables they are ok.
The coil and injector plug could be an issue, as it’s in a Bugger of position.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Series II sv6 LLT SIDI 3.6L commodore. it's been looked after but has recently developed a significant missfire.

prior to the missfire it had been throwing catalytic converter codes for bank 1 and 2 regularly but never had any issues for almost a year.

fuelled the car up at a different petrol station than usual then the miss fire started. it has codes P0300 P0302 P0304 P0306 and the check engine light flashed when accelerating and is super rough. when starting the car from cold it is OK and idles ok with slight vibration. after it's reached temp and driving around the block it missfires hard and stalls on low revs or slow speed like stopping at an intersection. when trying to start it again it struggles to turn over and sometimes won't turn over like the battery is flat but the battery is fine.

I have replaced the coils and plugs a year ago. I took the air intake off, throttle body, and manifold and found a bit of oil in the big plastic tube coming from the throttle body to the air filter (not sure if that means anything). I've looked at the cams and chains they seem ok, couldn't see any broken valve springs. I have taken the timing chains off and am going to replace them anyway as I thought it might be that. I'm not sure if it is now, any other ideas?
What model engine is it ?
K/s ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s isolated to one bank.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s isolated to one bank.
Yes, I thought the same thing,
Possibly a ground connection, or ground wire in the loom,
Job for a good Multimeter !

And may have to back probe it to the ECU via the other connectors.