Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing problem, same after new plugs and leads.

edcox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Vacationer Wagon
Hi all,

I have a VP V6, low km. It had a small missing problem on idle, maybe once every few seconds. I spoke to a mechanic, and he said do the leads and plugs, and that should fix it.

So I went to Repco and got just your regular run of the mill champion steel leads and gold plugs.

Changed the leads and plugs over, but it still runs like a bag of dicks...

I did an upper engine clean, with that subaru stuff, but it didnt really make much difference.

What else makes these engines run so bad, it misses every now and then, and generally seems to be i not so top shape. It had been sitting a while when i got it...

Coil packs??

Thanks for any advice.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Try pulling the connector for one lead at a time until you know which coil is a dud. Alternately check & clean coil connectors.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
yeah mate very high possibility it could be one or more of your coil packs, if new coil packs dont work then i'd be betting on the dfi module (or otherwise known as ignition module) which is what the coil packs are mounted to. you can buy a set off ebay with a brand new dfi module and all new coil packs for a couple of hundred bucks, thats what i did when i had the same problem your describing and i havnt had a problem since. good luck with it ay

dcthebomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT1 Vp commodore
yea coil packs but dont by standards ones get MSD alot betta

troy7979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged
Hi,
Try taking the small vaccume hose off of the fuel regulator on the EFI rail when at idle if the revs pick up and the idle smoothes out change it.
It is a fairly common thing that people dont check good luck.