Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing under load :-(

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Hi Everyone,

I've just put a deposit down on a 2001 Rodeo dual Cab V6 4x4,
It's just hit 200k with full service history, and just had a $2500 service, including Timing belt, water Pump, Brakes all round etc...... It had LPG fitted just on 2yrs ago.

Now, problem is, i took it for a test drive last night, and about 5 mins into the test, it began to miss under load, I'm not talking about dropping one cylinder, it was almost like it dropped half a cylinder from three or more??
No Power, no acceleration, no backfiring etc, just jolting and could only just increase speed... as soon as I let off the pedal, it drove smooth, sounded good, and gently increased speed. I know these engines are renowned for burning valves on gas, but it seems to be spasmotic..... Engined idle was smooth and fine when I first inspected the car, but once I drove it and arrived back, it was fluttering violently from the exhaust...

as I headed home to investigate common problems with these engines, the owner pulled up along side me, and asked that I pull my car over and go for a drive as the problem had gone...........
I declined and went home to investigate. now he came to my house later on and it has started doing it again. I have had no previous exp with these cars, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows common problems with them, rather than me spending hours trying to diagnose it, and probably wasting $$ in the process....

My first thought was Coils, but they don't normally play up, and it's not dropping one cylinder and pulsing, it is dropping more than that, and jolting in an uneaven manner, then coming good for approx 1 second, then jolting again, My next thought was Fuel pump, but it does it on both Petrol and Gas.......
Air Filter is clean, Maf and T/B are clean, Oil is new, Coolant is new.
Normally I wouldn't bother and look for another car to buy, but this one is like new, inside and out, and feels really tight to drive, Diff/Gearbox & engine make no noise at all, steers sensational, and has a very positive feel when on the road unlike others I have driven.
I really want to buy this car, just interested to find out what it is I need to replace so my Family and I can begin to enjoy it :)

Any Help or advice is greatly appreciated, i know it's not a commodore, but at least it's a Holden :)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mate, i know a bloke that had one of these and apart from anything else, it ate the fuel like it was going out of fashion. It literally ran off the smell of a 44 gallon drum, it was that bad. Not sure about the problem you mention, could just need a tune or could be major, hard to tell. If you really like it then get it checked right out before you part with your hard earned. I had a 2002 dual cab 4x4 rodeo for 7 years and it was an excellent no frills 4x4 ute that you could chuck the family in and head bush with. Very reliable and great on fuel BUT........it was a diesel ;)

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
pretty obvious but did you check the plugs and leads?

Yes mate, Plugs are NGK Iridiums, fitted a few weeks ago, and......... It doesn't have leads :)
Coil Plugs straight into each plug as it sits on top of them.....Yep...:-( ............6 Coils :-(...............

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
check the fuel filter along the left hand chassis rail. i discovered that a small amount of air was getting past the seal under suction. eg, acceration.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
check the fuel filter along the left hand chassis rail. i discovered that a small amount of air was getting past the seal under suction. eg, acceration.

Cheers mate, I will replace it for sure, but its not the problem, coz it does it on gas as well :-(

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Yes mate, Plugs are NGK Iridiums, fitted a few weeks ago, and......... It doesn't have leads :)
Coil Plugs straight into each plug as it sits on top of them.....Yep...:-( ............6 Coils :-(...............

ah right coil over plug. well was it bahaving that way before the plugs were changed?

did you check the coils for shorting? faint white lines on the coil, they will smell like burnt electrical stuuf usually if theyre shorting.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
ah right coil over plug. well was it bahaving that way before the plugs were changed?

did you check the coils for shorting? faint white lines on the coil, they will smell like burnt electrical stuuf usually if theyre shorting.

Yeh mate, It all seems good :-(
He said it started when he got it back from the mechanic, but only did it for about ten mins, and has since been ok, about 2 mnths.......
I'm still going to buy it, as i am almost cirtain it isn't a valve problem.......
I'd love to be able to fix it on the first day I own it, that's all :)
He has dropped the price $500 to pay for the repairs :)

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just spoke to him, he said it drove great today, so obviously an electrical problem of some sort :)
I get it tuesday night, so the fun begins :)))

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
hope you dont live to regret it, its never a good idea to buy a car that has issues your unsure about.