Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mMm RaMEd InDuCtIon!

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
Im thinkin.. i have a VN v6.. and currently trial'ing the differences between the Cold Air Intake and stock box, compared against an aftermarket B&M Pod filter. Pod i feel is comming along Very good you can actually hear it whistling away as you take off.

BuT!! :drink: after a few drinks :drink: :yeah: i was just day dreaming away about what i can do.. and ive come up an idea.. (sort of like a CAI setup) but running a custom pipe from an airvent or the grill streight into the front of the pod. would this cause more air to be.. sort of RAMMED? into the pod the faster you go/ the more air you catch?

Looking for opinions? Good, Bad, Pathetic excuss for attempt of power? etc.. let us know what you think? will be willing to give it an attempt.

Cheers
Mike :yeah:

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Aaaahhhh yes..... Nothing like a few grogs to get the creative juices flowing.... :yeah:

In all seriousness tho.... I doubt you would notice any difference. I reckon the theory is there, but you just wouldn't get enough pressure from the oncoming air to make a noticeable difference. And it has to come through the filter anyway which will take the velocity out of it, so you'd lose any gains.

The only real way is to force induction after the filter, i.e. suck it through the filter and blow it into the motor.

I can vouch for that, I am running a little blower on a '90 V6 VN.

And go with the CAI, you will get cold air versus the pod sucking warmer air from the engine bay. But if you are after noise and looks, stick with the pod.

That's my thoughts anyway, look forward to hearing other thoughts too....

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
StealthX said:
yeah true.. Whats this Cyclone.. or Hi-clone or whtever da shitter is? that spyral's the air down the intake?? ever considered it or seen it in action?

Never heard of it to be totally honest. Post any info you get on it, I'd be curious to know....

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
What is Hiclone?
Hiclone is a simple non-moving and maintenance-free device made of stainless steel, which fits inside the air filter housing of a carburetor or in the air induction hose on EFI, turbo, LPG or diesel engines. Which creates a swirling cyclone or tornado like effect to the airflow into the intake manifold and combustion chamber of any engine.

http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/hiclone.php

Guys in CCC reckon its not worth it.. was jsut another thought.. but anyway for anyone else lookin on *BUMP* ^^^ up to the first post

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Looks a bit gimmicky.... I wouldn't bother. Don't know about this spiralling of the air. I would have thought less turbulance and a straighter flow would be better. :unsure:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'm sure a big chunk of metals going to help it flow nicely haha.

Your rammed induction idea could work with marginal gains I reckon.
That marginal its not worth it. The shorter the pipe the better the induction, so by the time you get a pipe up around and to the front of the car, lost alot of energy.

Just stick to a really good CAI and you'll be laughing.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Or buy a $3 flowerpot from Mitre 10 and stick the Pod into that like I have. Then get a bit of pipe from an exhaust shop and have the pod as close to the headlight as possible to collect cold air from under the bonnet and to shield it from the heat inside the engine bay ;).

It does work!! Even if it didn't, it's still good for a laugh although when I get my aircon looked at on Thursday I'm going to stick the airbox back in just in case the guy thinks I'm some young hooligan and decides to have the 'hoon tax' put onto my bill ;).

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I have tried an air pod, didn't find any luck with it. But I then tried with the simple holden air box on my Vn by cutting most of the sides out around the bottom. Almost sounds like it has an air pod now. That made a difference. Then I bought a VS CAI and went and bought another vn air box so it was all sealed only air coming in from outside. I thought it was alright. But I could tell that something wasn't quite right.
So I ended up putting in my modified vn air box with all the bottom cut out. Still with the VS CAI in place. My theory was that the air coming through the CAI will mix with the air coming in through the box from under the bonnet and maye just cooling it a bit. But I don't whether it was putting my open vn air box and CAI in together or the fact I just by opening the air box letting the air get sucked straight in through filter. I noticed the difference straight away.
So I think CAI are not that effective unless you have a blower (super charger or turbo) this way the super charger is sucking air straight in from outside the vechile.
As N/A cars they need to suck harder longer distance which probably cancels out the extra horse power gained by the cold air coming in.
As for for air pods, well don't know. In my case, I didn't see any difference in a matter of fact I reckon that my opened VN air box went better.
But I have spoken to people they reckon they gained power after installing an air pod.
What I will do I have a G-Tech, when I get some time and money. I will go and blow some money on a K&N Air Pod.
Test that on G-Tech
Then put my sealed box back in with CAI only with a K&N filter in it and see which turns out to be the best. I will do it straight after each test so the humidity and air density is the same which should give me an accurate reading.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The V8 VS CAI works great and even better if you can invent something that ducts the air from behind the grill and up into the CAI. Much better than dodgy pod stuck on the end of the inlet pipe hanging just above the stinking hot headers like you see on some VN's