Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Advice

Riley.b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series 3.0L
Put good tyres on your standard rims

Get some SS OEM spec suspension

Do a major service the car

Check all nuts, bolts, belts and bushings

It is important to start with a solid base, otherwise you may dpend a heap of cash, only to find you meed to spend a hedp of cash keeping the car running

I love the wagons, and apart from the above, my first point of call would be window tint if ir doesn't have any, and then a good sound system
The car has been my dads for the last 8 years or so as his personal company car and only has 100,000 kms and has been serviced every 5000 kms, so it is in very good condition, windows were tinted last week, but I am also leaning towards a ve/vf ss mufflers as I've heard they add a little bit of a note but nothing over the top.

Also in terms of sound system I have noticed it does lack compared to say my mums car so is there any decent budget options that I could DIY?

Riley.b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series 3.0L
If your Uncle is "running the store". he should have the price of both at hand

I also suspect, with the pricing, he is supplying the cheapest nasties tyres he can possible lay his hands on..

For what it is worth, stick with 18" wheels...

Oh and get prices from other places too....Bob Jane stores have to give a cut to the owner ie Rodney Jane on every sale....So you're uncles "discounted" price might be able to be bettered by an independantly owned store, rather than a Bob Jane franchise
I will be calling around to local stores but I suspect what my uncle has to offer will be a better deal, and I am sure he wont give me the cheapest tyres as he probably wants me to be safe.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The car has been my dads for the last 8 years or so as his personal company car and only has 100,000 kms and has been serviced every 5000 kms, so it is in very good condition, windows were tinted last week, but I am also leaning towards a ve/vf ss mufflers as I've heard they add a little bit of a note but nothing over the top.

Also in terms of sound system I have noticed it does lack compared to say my mums car so is there any decent budget options that I could DIY?
Something decent starts around $1500-$1600 fitted. DIY probably just shy of a $1000.

Riley.b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series 3.0L
Something decent starts around $1500-$1600 fitted. DIY probably just shy of a $1000.
I think I will hold off on the sound system for now until I am on my P's because its not worth it if i'm only driving the car 3-4 times a week.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hey guys, I just got my hands on a 2012 Series 2 VE Z Series Wagon 3.0L SiDi, I have a couple mods in mind, starting with an exhaust, wheels and tires, and also later on some springs.

Exhaust:
I am looking at an exhaust from Empire Performance. Specifically the Muffler delete for standard exhaust, with a resonator.
https://empireperformance.com.au/products/ve-vf-hsv-muffler-deletes?currency=AUD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqeUBhCBARIsAOdt45Zu0EVdPoZBDg_dAQUSi_sLAnWLY9g8XB3pCZd2rFCvtC_AXQi8Qm4aAsjPEALw_wcB
Any advice on the muffler delete or any better either muffler deletes or a new muffler for about the $400 range, but also if it is worth getting the resonator with them.

Wheels:
Currently looking at getting new wheels and tires fitted at Bob Jane T-Marts (my uncle practically runs the store so he can get them for cheaper), I am looking at the Forgeauto FA-5's either in 18" or 20", now he said that he cant do staggered with the 18" but he can with the 20", I would preferably not like them to poke but to just sit inside the guards and have a nice fitment.

My question is, is it worth paying the extra for 20" or just sticking with the 18", as he said he could probably do all 4 wheels and tires for about $1300. I am not sure how much it is for 20" on all 4 as he said he will get back to me.

Springs:
Currently looking at a pair of Kings KHRL - 152SLHD for the rear and Kings KHFL - 150SSL for the front. I would like the car not to scrape but also not be annoyingly low that I have to be extra cautious when driving over speed bumps and other minor stuff. I want the car to sit a bit lower so it looks nice but also don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort.

Any advice for if I should get any other stuff like the Mondroe GT Sport Shortened Shock's like the website recommends. I read someone saying they just put short rear bumper stops and wanted to know if that would be fine. Any other advice is taken into account as I have never modified a car and would like to get some advice before hand.

Thank you for reading this post, I am looking for any kind of advice on stuff I should look out for, consider getting or not get.

You could put SSV mufflers as they won't sound bad on these V6's... Keep in mind, exhaust systems on these V6's usually sound crappy and really drone so make sure you're happy with them and are willing to put up with the drone... Also with the springs, make sure you're going to be completely happy with their ride quality as you're sacrificing it for the looks...
(This is a 3.6L but it sounds decent)

(Or if you want something like an x-force, also a 3.6)

When you're off your P's and you still have this car, you can dump a supercharger on top (but it's pricy) and you can get close to 300kw...

Riley.b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series 3.0L
You could put SSV mufflers as they won't sound bad on these V6's... Keep in mind, exhaust systems on these V6's usually sound crappy and really drone so make sure you're happy with them and are willing to put up with the drone... Also with the springs, make sure you're going to be completely happy with their ride quality as you're sacrificing it for the looks...
(This is a 3.6L but it sounds decent)

(Or if you want something like an x-force, also a 3.6)

When you're off your P's and you still have this car, you can dump a supercharger on top (but it's pricy) and you can get close to 300kw...
Would you know where I could find SSV mufflers for a half decent price, I've looked on marketplace and gumtree but everyone either wants $300+ or don't want to sell the mufflers separate.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Would you know where I could find SSV mufflers for a half decent price, I've looked on marketplace and gumtree but everyone either wants $300+ or don't want to sell the mufflers separate.
I found this though I'm not sure if this is what you need:

https://fastautoparts.com.au/produc...40wp7_AE18Rre-UYg5GUqUOKKh-w7g8hoCSFwQAvD_BwE

I also found an old thread about SSV mufflers on an SV6:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ssv-mufflers-on-a-sv6.140355/page-2

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think I will hold off on the sound system for now until I am on my P's because its not worth it if i'm only driving the car 3-4 times a week.
Delete the center speaker in the dash, that will improve the sound.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ask your local exhaust shop if they have any used catbacks for sale, I believe a full OEM SS catback fits, they use to go straight into the scrap bin here, although I'm not sure if you need a wagon specific one though

Or, just get them to fab up new straight through rear boxes and reuse your current tips

Or, for $525 https://racecraftaus.com/products/bolt-on-mufflers-ve-vf-sedan-wagon-ute

The above will at least muffle a little noise, the Empire ones with those small bodied resonators would be louder, which wouldn't be good

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother doing anything to the rear boxes

I would possibly spend my money saved on not getting wheels and mufflers and put that towards a tune

Lastly, typically nothing good comes cheap

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
IMHO, it's a 3.0 SIDI, it's never going to sound good no matter what you do to the exhaust.
Don't waste your money there. Add the SS mufflers for the twin tip looks for sure, but sound, meh..
Spend your money on decent shocks/coilovers and decent tyres, you'll be much happier.