Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modding VS ecotec

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
and while ur creating all this power, remember you will want to stop, so upgrading your brakes should be on the list also! probably towards the top of the list

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
I was looking to spend the minimal amount of money for maximum increase, I didn't say i wasn't willing to spend a lot of money :p

Hey mate, from your post i would say you would want a centrifugal blower kit and diy intercooler , get the heads "de-compressed" by yella terra, some rockers (fit or yt -probabbly get a better deal from yt for both head machining and rockers together), allow about $1000 for a tune, and if you have any money left over go for extractors, twin stock cats and a single 3 inch exhaust.

then later on try some diff gears.

cheers, but theres really no "cheap way ".

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I was told that putting a charger on an Ecotec is likely to blow the pistons out due to their cut down size...

is this true?

If so:

is it safe to run 8psi on a turbo?

putting a M90 charger (l67 setup) on a standard block tends to cause lots of problems with pistons, using a raptor style charger though it tends to be fine. not sure why(maybe something to do with frequencies/harmonics created by the blower). raptor run about 8-9psi on a stock standard ecotec and are making good power with that.

with mods

1. Holden S/C CAI and good panel filter (K&N)
2. cat back exhaust
3. headers
4. 1.9:1 roller rockers

i'd recommend the YT high ratio roller rockers as they are true roller rockers etc, i beleive that the FIT rockers are just remanufactured Holden rockers etc(this i've been told but you would need to check this on your own and no i don't work for YT).

check the raptor section, look in the VS-VY thread, i think they gained about 22rwhp with 1.97:1 (FIT) rockers, headers and cat back exhaust, standard intake setup i believe

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Spaced you bastard when were you going to tell me you had rockers for sale!

I'm still debating wether or not to sell or put em on for a few months and sell for less down the track. It's a cheap power up. I would have told you but you were looking at going yella terra and because you cannot fit 1.91's and a cam I thought you'd give it a miss.

i'd recommend the YT high ratio roller rockers as they are true roller rockers etc, i beleive that the FIT rockers are just remanufactured Holden rockers etc(this i've been told but you would need to check this on your own and no i don't work for YT).

You are correct these are remanufactured rockers.

Mate how much does your budget entail. I was looking myself at doing New shiftkitted auto box (1300) 1.91 rockers (850 retail) 3.71 diff ratio ($1000 for everything required) exhaust extractors and a memcal. If you know someone who can manufacture piping a good idea is to look at the sc14 toyota blowers. I was looking at getting one of these from the wreckers ($350) and getting the brackets made up. If it runs under a grand it's worth it. Over I don't feel it's worth it.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I'm still debating wether or not to sell or put em on for a few months and sell for less down the track. It's a cheap power up. I would have told you but you were looking at going yella terra and because you cannot fit 1.91's and a cam I thought you'd give it a miss.

I'm not doing the cam :) but you're right I was planning to go yella terra. For the right price I'd go with the FIT items though. Meh... I'm not really in the market for them just yet anyway. But if you do decide to sell them, let me know cause I just might be in the market then :p

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
One of the most valuable mods to any commodore is diff ratio. Get 3.7's or 3.9's fitted with LSD. It will make the most noticable difference than any other mod before forced induction.

My list had i had to do it all again in order would be.

1. Diff ratio with LSD.

2. 1.97:1 high ratio roller rockers.

3. Exhaust.

4. Aftermarket memcal.

The list goes on. But this is a good budget power plan to get started. All these mods will get you 14.9 to 15.3 1/4 mile time.

parkerst

Reaction score
Okay, i just got off the phone and i'm being quoted $1400 to get extractors and a cat back exhaust with 3in tip fitted (including labor)

this sound right? Am i being taken for a ride?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Okay, i just got off the phone and i'm being quoted $1400 to get extractors and a cat back exhaust with 3in tip fitted (including labor)

this sound right? Am i being taken for a ride?

depends, what does that include?
what sort of extractors are being used, what sort of catback and muffler(s), does it include a hi-flow cat or just re-using your current one, are they retaining your current y-piece or making up a new one - or do the extractors come with a y-piece (only HM come with one)?
when getting quotes ask as many questions as possible, it helps to compare quotes if you are ringing around to different workshops - as they might be including or excluding some things other places arent or they might be using cheap-ass products.

harta123

Reaction score
Members Ride
FIT'd VS S Pack
do not skimp on the muffler, get a good lukey or redback. it wont be much more money wise. but it will be the difference between a whipper snipper and a tuff sounding v6.

As far as mods go i couldnt agree more with IBLOWNs power plan.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
One of the most valuable mods to any commodore is diff ratio. Get 3.7's or 3.9's fitted with LSD. It will make the most noticable difference than any other mod before forced induction.

My list had i had to do it all again in order would be.

1. Diff ratio with LSD.

2. 1.97:1 high ratio roller rockers.

3. Exhaust.

4. Aftermarket memcal.

The list goes on. But this is a good budget power plan to get started. All these mods will get you 14.9 to 15.3 1/4 mile time.

Hey Iblown can you run the sc14 blower with the high ratio rockers?