Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MORE POWER FROM VT5.0 195kw UPGRADE

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi All,
I have a 98 VT Berlina 5.0 V8 (195kw) Upgrade that I would like to start having some fun with. I can't afford to do too much because of lack of funds but want to hear from other experiences on the "best for money" options available. I know there's a heap you can do but the basics and value for money to get the most out of it is what I'm after ???

CAN'T wait to hear some ideas !

CHEERS GUYS

:drink:

B

Benji...

Do the usuall exhaust mods the look at freeing up the breathing with a better induction setup (factory is restrictive).

The best mod then would be to get the ECU retuned to suit as well as have the Autos shifting patterns and habbits tweaked.

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks Benji

Cheers mate,

I have a redback sports exhaust system (I should have said this) but maybe could be better ?? The other mods sound good, where would I get them done I've been having problems at my holden dealership, the guys aren't as clued up as I thought they'd be.

Thanks again...

B

Benji...

Not many dealerships would be clued, No offense to those who are dealer techs but really, if they had a performance brain then they wouldnt be doing bloody oil changes would they ?

Most work in this area is carried out by individuals who have knowledge or are just bloody lucky. I myself do all my own mods and refuse to pay someone to do a job i can do same or better so i dont really have any recomendations as to who to see.

Best advise is to start doing some homework and research and have ago. You get a lot more pride out of doing your own mods than shelling out coins to someone else.

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Great advise once again. Thanks mate I'll do some research.

:drink:

H

HIGH11

mate another mod worth doin is diff gears they are a big help

simmo

T

thorpey

HIGH11 said:
mate another mod worth doin is diff gears they are a big help

Id go for that aswell, 3.7 gears from a vl. probly set you back a grand tho.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
thorpey said:
Id go for that aswell, 3.7 gears from a vl. probly set you back a grand tho.

No Vl came out with 3.7 gears! The 6 cyl turbo & non turbo all came with 3.45 gears and the v8s were 3.08. You can get 3.7 or 3.9 gears out of a 6 cyl nissan skyline as they run the same diff as a commodore. $1000 Ha, You are getting ripped!!!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Benji... said:
Not many dealerships would be clued, No offense to those who are dealer techs but really, if they had a performance brain then they wouldnt be doing bloody oil changes would they ?

Most work in this area is carried out by individuals who have knowledge or are just bloody lucky. I myself do all my own mods and refuse to pay someone to do a job i can do same or better so i dont really have any recomendations as to who to see.

Best advise is to start doing some homework and research and have ago. You get a lot more pride out of doing your own mods than shelling out coins to someone else.

I have worked at dealer for a long time & vey rarely change oil.... does this mean i DO know something about performance???

Working at dealers you see all the latest "performance" mods done by customers, you know, resistors in the IAT sensor to give you 20hp, K&N filters oiled so much the MAF sensor is coated & the car runs like crap, a bare pod filter mounted under the bonnet?!?!?, dyno queen ls1Edit tunes that make huge power at WOT but drive badly, assorted neon & led lights wired into critical vehicle electronics causing strange gremlins.
We see it all so its little wonder there is reluctance to share knowledge as it is generally misused & causes problems in uneducated hands.

sorry for the rant but i for one am sick and tired of being dumped on by people who "know better" and "can do it better myself".

if you can do it better yourself go ahead, just ace it up on telling everybody how good you are & how bad others are.

Tired Sick & Grumpy...Rob

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I agree, WELL SAID Doc Bob! Some times it is better to pay someone who knows what they are doing rather than doing it yourself and stuffing it up!!!! The people who know what they are doing will charge you a lot more to fix your stuff up than they would have charged to do it properly the first time!