Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Proof Holden Hates Commodore

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
People having a daily to avoid those issues is a different matter to those who have a daily to save fuel and there are plenty with the fuel saving mentality around, don't worry about that.....including members of this site.
It's not a fuel saving mentality per sé, it's range and convenience as well.

AnotherSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Engine displacement has next to nothing to do with it, think rotary engine, two strokes, formula one, 2l puffed out with 30 psi to 6l wtf!? Perpetuating a popular but incorrect myth there.

Yes you can compare a micro car to a full sized sports sedan... you compare power/weight (performance factor) vs fuel consumption, then divide that by number of passengers travelling comfortably.
So performance vs fuel vs comfortable passenger carrying is fair:

2150 Kg Brawler Hauler with 630 BHP carries five Australian adults and travelling luggage:

120 kph, e85, 4cyl Mode

Urban mode (stop/start) tuned for AFM.

I have plenty more including long trips averaging 6.0l avg 116 kph and out whoop whoop doing 140 kph using 8.5l. That's better than a Prius.

Any way you look at it still pisses on a Jazz.

If you are using E85 and getting that sort of economy you should try the car on on 98 Unleaded, the AFM is great using 98 gives me cheaper motoring than using 91 or E85, I actually save a couple of dollars a tank compared to running 91. E85 is great in the bush but still uses a lot more than 98.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
If you are using E85 and getting that sort of economy you should try the car on on 98 Unleaded, the AFM is great using 98 gives me cheaper motoring than using 91 or E85, I actually save a couple of dollars a tank compared to running 91. E85 is great in the bush but still uses a lot more than 98.
Yes but the weird nature of the two fuels is that with high compression ethanol really shines and eclipses petrol, and petrol just can't be optimised to the same extent so sort of evens out at around 7l on the highway.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
TBH I don't see the point of this debate. What is it exactly?
If you want a drivers car of this performance ilk, fun factor, N/A V8, size & weight (which brings safety benefits), you wont find better for the money. You'll struggle for double the money. Some would say for any money. If you don't, then enjoy the Jazz, or whatever you choose and the few or several hundred bucks a year you save in fuel.
It was originally about why people weren't buying Commodores ... and I think the fact that most car buyers don't even see there can be a fun-factor with cars is basically why.
The shift is 'cos a Mazda3 can do what it in the early 80's took a 5L VH to do (space, performance, obviously better on equipment & safety) while being more reliable & using considerably less fuel. And the same's true of heaps of the billionty extra alternatives there are. So in terms of what people buying transport need, things like Commodores aren't aren't the only things that meet those needs any more.

It's not really just fuel economy; if it were you wouldn't see as many Prados, Klungers and Landcruisers being blundered around the 'burbs.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
It was originally about why people weren't buying Commodores ... and I think the fact that most car buyers don't even see there can be a fun-factor with cars is basically why.
The shift is 'cos a Mazda3 can do what it in the early 80's took a 5L VH to do (space, performance, obviously better on equipment & safety) while being more reliable & using considerably less fuel. And the same's true of heaps of the billionty extra alternatives there are. So in terms of what people buying transport need, things like Commodores aren't aren't the only things that meet those needs any more.
OK, you believe the shift that caused the tipping point for Mazda 3 taking the overall sales lead in June 2010 over the Commodore VE was the fact the Mazda finally managed to achieve what a VH Commodore did in the '80s. :confused:
Correspondingly all the space, performance, equipment and safety built into Commodore since the eighties was a waste and Holden should have stopped while it was ahead (or behind) the ideal product people really need. That being the Mazda 3. Or is it just that Holden is really shit at marketing and Mazda win awards for same?
@Forg that bring us back to the OP, cue to 6:10 to see the way these gay cocks have totally lost the plot and my consideration for new car buy:
I grew up with Commies and 323s in the 80's, bought my son an '88 Laser a couple of years back. I've lived the fricken pros and cons for nigh on thirty years, you couldn't compare then, same now.
More people, denser population, smaller yards, more cars, parking space premium, better marketing, fully imported (must be better), less driving vacations, the rise in SUV for towing and RV vs caravan... there's a lot of obvious factors that very slowly changed the balance from Commie to 323 over 30 years at mid 2010. But fricken performance, reliability, and fuel economy is so far down the list.
However more affordable, more appropriate use of space for most people is a fair call. Even I could sell that.

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
I just think you have purchased a v8 as a daily with a fuel saving mentality , you must have accept the nature of the situation. So really fuel consumption can't be that high in your priorities.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Like the Nut Fest Monstar, I haven't seen John Cadogan's clips before - go to 6:10 as you say. Also off topic, I like this one as well about dealer delivery - good for a laugh.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
OK, you believe the shift that caused the tipping point for Mazda 3 taking the overall sales lead in June 2010 over the Commodore VE was the fact the Mazda finally managed to achieve what a VH Commodore did in the '80s. :confused:
No, I know that probably the biggest reason Falcodores don't have near the market share they used to have is because the things you used to need to buy a Falcodore for can EVEN be done by a Mazda3.
Sorry if that was too difficult to comprehend.

Last edited:

j_davis_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport edition
With Holden distancing itself from die hard fans (or bogans by Holden's definition), they are loosing a many customers if they plan to bring in the Camaro!...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I don't know about a Jazz Forg, but I also have a 2012 1.6 Fiesta manual, mostly used as a commuter in peak traffic, but it has done some highway trips. Those highway trips would see it at 7.0 l/100 Km (the same as it does around town averaging 30 Km/h). On the one hand 6.0 V8 on the highway 100 and 110 KM/h zones lopes along at about 1650 rpm and also drops off 4 cylinders on light throttle. Fiesta about 3,000 rpm, not that you really feel the revs in the Fiesta, it zips along quite well. Especially considering the price, I think they are very good little jiggers, drive very well. Around town averaging 30 Km/h of course Fiesta uses pretty much exactly half the fuel of the SS at the 30Km/h average speed. Looking at that instant fuel reading, that 3.0 l/h is higher than I see in either my VE SS AFM auto or my VX Clubby - the Clubby is usually about 2.6 or 2.7 l/hour, SS somewhere about 2.2 or 2.3 seems typical. Fiesta just .6 to .7 l/h

Edit, the 08 2.5 4 speed auto Forester my wife drives, on the highway usually about the same fuel as the SS or maybe just a little under, nothing in it.
I don't know why that photo showed 3.0lt per hour. That was the highest I saw all day.