Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motor Bike

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Hi there Guys,
Well I never thought I'd see the day but I have an opportunity to buy a motor bike, the last time I touched one there was way too much throttle and the thing flipped.

There's one at the moment near me for about $700 I think it was, it's a late 70's Suzuki TS185 dirt bike.

Being the first bike I've ever owned it doesn't need to be anything special but on that same token I don't want it to be a dud.

Now I know absolutely squat about bikes so anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks

Cheers
Darren

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Are you going to have it road registered or just recreational rego?

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
for $700 just running is a plus,

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
hi darren, my thoughts is that sounds a bit too much. I have a wrecked one down the back(cost me 3 big bots and it ran). It has elec start so thats a bonus for that type of bike.
The only things i would check are if it runs good, the clutch works properly, and the brakes. Also just have a look over it to make sure the forks arent bent or if its had any other mishaps that may need attention.
Edit- almost forgot, make sure it runs with no battery to check that the magneto works.

roby02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe wagon
also check all the weld joints for cracks and rust
any irregular noises ie motor ticking or grinding
excess oil on or near bike
stand the bike upright (helps to have someone hold it) then run a straight edge or string down both sides of bike
start front take it around rear wheel and back to the front opposite side and then pull tight get down and see if its straight:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Thanks guys, some things mentioned I wouldn't have ever thought of.

It will be purely used for off road use, who knows I could end up liking it and buying something better in the long run for actual road use.

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
Is it a 2 stroke? My brother had a TS 250 and it was a 2 stroke dirt bike, so i thought that one might be too.

If it is, you may not be able to register it as 2 stroke motorcross bikes generally cant be road registered. (CR's, KX's, YZ's etc, although these are getting phased out for the four strokes). And back in the day, the TS was in that category before suzuki brought out the RM.

So make sure that it can be registered for road use. If it doesnt have a speedo then you might be out of luck. The road registerable versions have a speedo and indicators (or at least the indicator button).

The TS's from the 70's might have been a different bike to that my brothers was though (i think his was mid-late 80's) so what i said may be totally irrelevant but i thought i would throw it out there anyway

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
just had a look at the wreck down the back its a tc185 and not a ts185. but the basics will still be the same. being a dirt bike the ts probably wont have elec start but still if there is a battery in it disconnect it to check that the magneto works.

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
the ts185 is a road trail bike so it could be registered for road use so long as lights indicators instrament panel are in tack, kick start only on those,

where rated fairly high in the day for comfort as the seating position, most could be riden all day with out too much fatigue

i had a 85 modle ts185 was good leaner trail bike