Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Musical air horn

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just wondering on the legal aspect of them. I plan to keep my original horn and just wire the new ones to a seperate switch.

I'm fairly sure they are illegal but from what I can gather as long as you still have a normal working horn and don't go around playing the musical air horns 24x7 the cops aren't too worried about it.

Also does anyone have some tips on where to install them from personal experience (either engine bay or front bumper etc.).

Anybody spoken to the cops about it?

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
it depends on the state, i dont see the problem with them as they are still a type of horn and can warn people of danger

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Anybody else know if musical air horns are legal in NSW, keep in mind I plan on running them on a seperate switch so my normal horn won't be changed.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
ring up ur local transport department.... my mate got defected for air horns so id be checking it out 1st

I

Insanesinner

I would say that if you leave your origanal horn on it cant be defected as u would not need to use the musical one.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
yeah m8 i did the same thing had the original horn and had the air horns on a seperate switch. never been defected for it and i use to do it all the time. im pretty sure that they are ilegal as only single tone horns are allowed or something like that. mine were put under the battery and the compressor was mounted on the right of the battery under the car. but u may find that they stuff up when they get water in them from being in the front pointing foward.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah I'm pretty sure that according to the ADR it has to be a single tone horn. I want a horn off a diesel locomotive, still looking for one tho :(

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
ucwepn said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure that according to the ADR it has to be a single tone horn. I want a horn off a diesel locomotive, still looking for one tho :(
How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRASS-TRAIN-...oryZ4124QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
L8N said:
but u may find that they stuff up when they get water in them from being in the front pointing foward.
That's why you install them pointing downwards. I've had a the same set of airhorns for over 10 years. Had 'em in 4 cars without ever having water problems.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
clixanup said:
That's why you install them pointing downwards. I've had a the same set of airhorns for over 10 years. Had 'em in 4 cars without ever having water problems.

that could solve it but thats the way i put them cause that was the easyest way(might even have been the quality of horns as well i mean if yours are ten years old they must be pretty quality not some cheap ****). if i get new ones they will be mounted under the boot floor.

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The air horns are in and sound bloody great. I made a simple bracket to mount the horns just in front of the radiator, but air flow won't really be effected in any way, and the compressor was mounted under the front bumber bar on the battery side.

The real bitch was running the wires from the engine bay inside to the car. I had to request the help of the fairer sex as my hands were too large for some parts.

Anyway after some modifications on the original wiring diagram provided (the diagram and instructions were shite as normal) I now have the dixieland theme playing through its own hidden switch and my normal car horn was never touched.

One of the best B'day presents I've have gotten yet :)