Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY 12.5 SSV Oil

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series
photo.jpgHi People,
Just checked the oil in my SSV L77 Engine and was down to 3rd Hole on Dipstick,Topped it up with 700ml Oil,Considering it has only done 4,700KM is that a lot to Burn in a new Engine?I realise it needs to wear in,Just wondering what you guys think?
Using Penrite HPR 5 5W40,Which i will also use in a Full Change at 7000,Recommended by Mercedes and BMW,Good enough for a Holden,LOL

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes is ok, depends on a few things but has your car only done 4700 or since last change?
If new then was it changed at 3000?
Did Holden dealer put 5w40 in it?
BTW the manual says to top up a litre at a time, avoid fractional top-ups. While in the maintenance chapter lookup your typical driving use in the oil interval section of the manual to see whether 7500km servicing is recommended. Most people I know fall into that category.
Since I do lots of sustained high speed driving (and there's shedloads of misinformation about our engine) I totally recommend using the car's oil life monitor and change when oil quality gets near 20%.
Also GM won't enter into any dialogue about oil consumption until 10,000k (in the owners manual).

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series
Yes is ok, depends on a few things but has your car only done 4700 or since last change?
If new then was it changed at 3000?
Did Holden dealer put 5w40 in it?
BTW the manual says to top up a litre at a time, avoid fractional top-ups. While in the maintenance chapter lookup your typical driving use in the oil interval section of the manual to see whether 7500km servicing is recommended. Most people I know fall into that category.
Since I do lots of sustained high speed driving (and there's shedloads of misinformation about our engine) I totally recommend using the car's oil life monitor and change when oil quality gets near 20%.
Also GM won't enter into any dialogue about oil consumption until 10,000k (in the owners manual).

THANKS PIR4TE,,,OH SHITE,,,,Car was brand new,,Forgot about the 3,000 km Service,Yes they did oil and filter don't know what oil they used.I topped up with Penrite 700ml.SO it used 700ml in 1700km,surely thats not good?i assume holden used 5W30..I do 15km a Day highway driving 100-110 kmh but in 4th Gear only as I BELIEVE the Engine has too Work,In 6th its only idling.YES I reset Oil Moniter,Think its at 80%
CHEERS

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
NP seems there's your answer -> oil quality algorithm drops you 20% in 1700km based on actual driving conditions, that's the most accurate explanation to why 700ml down.
Consumption does stabilise overall when run in, anything from a litre per 1000km in certain conditions outlined in table C and F (I think) - so you are candidate for 7500km oil change interval.
I recently did 5000km open road driving over a week and lost a litre, direct correlation between oil quality and the oil life calcs.
On the VE it uses 5w30 mineral as the denominator, synthetic gives you another bit of practical margin.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
NP seems there's your answer -> oil quality algorithm drops you 20% in 1700km based on actual driving conditions, that's the most accurate explanation to why 700ml down.
Consumption does stabilise overall when run in, anything from a litre per 1000km in certain conditions outlined in table C and F (I think) - so you are candidate for 7500km oil change interval.
I recently did 5000km open road driving over a week and lost a litre, direct correlation between oil quality and the oil life calcs.
On the VE it uses 5w30 mineral as the denominator, synthetic gives you another bit of practical margin.

Cars don't use oil (unless there is something wrong) oil is merely a lubricant. I drove across the Nullabor and didn't use any, do you have a leak? That would be my guess, either that or you measured wrong first time. Have you got the pigs dick dip stick?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Cars don't use oil (unless there is something wrong) oil is merely a lubricant. I drove across the Nullabor and didn't use any, do you have a leak? That would be my guess, either that or you measured wrong first time. Have you got the pigs dick dip stick?

Yes I have a pig's dick dipstick, and just did the equivalent of across the Nullabor and back with load at speed.
I'm not really burning a shedload of oil, but our car does use oil, according to GM:
All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.
Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).
Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.
Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.
Pre-MY9.5 L76 engines use quite a bit more due to oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
THANKS PIR4TE,,,OH SHITE,,,,Car was brand new,,Forgot about the 3,000 km Service,Yes they did oil and filter don't know what oil they used.I topped up with Penrite 700ml.SO it used 700ml in 1700km,surely thats not good?i assume holden used 5W30..I do 15km a Day highway driving 100-110 kmh but in 4th Gear only as I BELIEVE the Engine has too Work,In 6th its only idling.YES I reset Oil Moniter,Think its at 80%
CHEERS

1. The 3000 km service does not involve an oil and filter change UNLESS you request it - which owners should. So if you did not ask for an oil and filter change I would say it is most unlikely it was changed.

2. Penrite HPR 5 5/40 is the wrong oil for your car. By the way the WARRANTY on your engine is specifically conditional on you using the lubricants specified by GM which for your car is 5w/30 DEXOS 1 spec oil.

3. PENRITE make a GF-5 fully synthetic 5w/30 Dexos 1 oil for these engines and if you want to use Penrite products this is what you should be using. Here .....http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/Enviro Plus GF5 JAN 2011.pdf

If you have trouble getting this oil (which you may) Mobil 1 DEXOS 1 5w/30 (GF-5) is readily available.

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series

No Leaks whats so ever,Yes Pigs Dipstick,Could have measured wrong first Time.I think it will settle in Time.
Anyone else out there with a 12.5,Last of the VE? L77.

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series
1. The 3000 km service does not involve an oil and filter change UNLESS you request it - which owners should. So if you did not ask for an oil and filter change I would say it is most unlikely it was changed.

2. Penrite HPR 5 5/40 is the wrong oil for your car. By the way the WARRANTY on your engine is specifically conditional on you using the lubricants specified by GM which for your car is 5w/30 DEXOS 1 spec oil.

3. PENRITE make a GF-5 fully synthetic 5w/30 Dexos 1 oil for these engines and if you want to use Penrite products this is what you should be using. Here .....http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/Enviro Plus GF5 JAN 2011.pdf

If you have trouble getting this oil (which you may) Mobil 1 DEXOS 1 5w/30 (GF-5) is readily available.

Yes Sean880 your right,3,000km Service was FREE so Oil and Filter WAS NOT Changed.
So 700ML used in 4,700 is Nuthin to Worry about.
As for PENRITE OIL They say its alright to use,They add 10 to make it 40 Which I think is neither here or there.
MOBIL 1=RIPOFF,,,Have Read quite a bit on Oil lately,,,Doing my Head in :)

Grumpyoldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS-V Z Sedan Perfect Blue
I have a MY13 SSV Auto and it has done approx 2600 klm and the oil level has not changed since the day I picked it up.It has just had its 3000klm/3 month free service. How do I bring up the oil life monitor?