Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 1st v8

v8_lad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 355 stato, vr exec, vs calais
Hi all, just got a vs stateo with a 5ltr v8 in it, thats the 304 i believe, im not too car savvy but am keen to learn! Wheres a good place to start, been reading heaps of topics on here, alot is going strait over my head tho lol.. engine has done 200000kms wheres a good place to start to get more grunt? And that wont creep into the thousands of $.. cheers :D

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all, just got a vs stateo with a 5ltr v8 in it, thats the 304 i believe, im not too car savvy but am keen to learn! Wheres a good place to start, been reading heaps of topics on here, alot is going strait over my head tho lol.. engine has done 200000kms wheres a good place to start to get more grunt? And that wont creep into the thousands of $.. cheers :D

Good aircleaner or Cold air intake & maybe a larger Throttle body is a cheap place to start, and easy to install too.
Than it would be extractors & full exhaust time.
Oh, and a CPU chip in there somewhere too

everything after that will cost big dollars, but than again every thing after that is when you should start to see decent power.

Just my opinion. Good luck Mate, :)

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
200k on the clock?

Find out a bit of history before you ask it to get up and boogie.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
exhaust, a reputable mail order tune/memcal (from the likes of greenfoam), cold air intake should get you up to around 180-200kw at the flywheel - depending on engine condition. IMO larger throttle body won't give you any results on a near stock engine.

lower diff gears will also liven it up.

Beyond that, I'm afraid it's all costs big $$. Cam, compression, intake manifold, head work, fuel system & injectors to suit, proper dyno tune.....

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
to get any worthy "grunt" is going to cost in the excess of a $1000.....bolt on parts wont do sfa........ unless its a charger!
but as darren said ....... get a set of diff gears ..... as that will change the characteristics of the car ...... especially down low and maybe a shiftkit if its an auto, but somethin with 200k on the clock may not like the firm shifts