Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My car turns into a sauna.... Excessive heat inside cabin.

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my VT S2 clubby where the inside of the car (the cabin) gets really hot just as if you were sitting in a sauna. Yep great in winter, not so good in summer

I can feel alot of heat coming from the gearbox and the areas around it eg under the power window switches, center console, gear box boot/knob and around the cigarette lighter. Anything stored inside the center console or the compartment above the cigarette lighter (with the fold down lid) feels like it's been sitting in the microwave for an hour i.e. they heat up and get hot...real hot.

I took the center console surround and gearbox boot/knob off and noticed that the other gearbox boot (the white rubber one)was torn in half. Is that the cause of the extra heat? surely that rubber boot can't reduce or control the heat coming into the cabin that much?

Any idea on how I can reduce the heat/temperature inside the cabin or what is causing it? Yes I've tried winding the windows down! I'm thinking about placing some insulating heat wrap under the center console and electric window switches and over/around the gear lever to reflect the heat coming into the cabin if that makes sense?

D

devilly

make sure heater tap and hoses are on in the correct order,the heater tap has 2 close together plastic pipes and 2 further away plastic pipes, the 2 close together plastic pipes go to firewall,the other 2 go to engine.might need to bleed air out of coolant.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my VT S2 clubby where the inside of the car (the cabin) gets really hot just as if you were sitting in a sauna. Yep great in winter, not so good in summer

I can feel alot of heat coming from the gearbox and the areas around it eg under the power window switches, center console, gear box boot/knob and around the cigarette lighter. Anything stored inside the center console or the compartment above the cigarette lighter (with the fold down lid) feels like it's been sitting in the microwave for an hour i.e. they heat up and get hot...real hot.

I took the center console surround and gearbox boot/knob off and noticed that the other gearbox boot (the white rubber one)was torn in half. Is that the cause of the extra heat? surely that rubber boot can't reduce or control the heat coming into the cabin that much?

Any idea on how I can reduce the heat/temperature inside the cabin or what is causing it? Yes I've tried winding the windows down! I'm thinking about placing some insulating heat wrap under the center console and electric window switches and over/around the gear lever to reflect the heat coming into the cabin if that makes sense?

It will be the white rubber boot, I had the same issue with my ute, the boot was torn and would let all the heat from exhaust and gearbox radiate off the centre console.

Mike's yseries gts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv yseries gts build 29
Yes it will e the rubber boot, unfortunately the only way to replace it is remove the gear knob and surround,jack the car up undo the 4x 13mm nuts and replace with a new one, they're about $80 from memory

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
It will be the white rubber boot, I had the same issue with my ute, the boot was torn and would let all the heat from exhaust and gearbox radiate off the centre console.

Did you end up replacing the rubber boot and if so, did it fix the heat problem?

How the heck do you remove the rubber boot anyways? I can't see any bolt heads or screw etc when looking at the rubber boot from top down?

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Yes it will e the rubber boot, unfortunately the only way to replace it is remove the gear knob and surround,jack the car up undo the 4x 13mm nuts and replace with a new one, they're about $80 from memory

So the nuts that tie the white gear box boot down are undone from the bottom of the car/gearbox boot (lying on your aback and looking up) and not from inside the car looking down at the gearbox? Hope that makes sense?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Did you end up replacing the rubber boot and if so, did it fix the heat problem?

How the heck do you remove the rubber boot anyways? I can't see any bolt heads or screw etc when looking at the rubber boot from top down?

Yes was replaced and it stopped all the heat entering the cabin. It was mentioned earlier you need to get to the bolts from underneath the car.