Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my e-wang is bigger than yours!

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
143.8 @ capalaba autobahn soundoff early this year in a VS

JL Audio W3V3 13.5" x2 sitting in 5 cubic foot slot port box (homemade woo!)
JL Audio VR 600 Splits x 8
JL Audio 1000/1 Mono
JL Audio 300/4 fullrange
Sony XAV-C1 dvd headunit
Stinger pro series 1.2 Cap
Stinger dream series RCA's
Stinger 4ga wiring, teminations, battery terminals and fuse distro blocks
Dual boot mount 700 CCA batteries + 1x 650CCA up front

oh an a dodgy slim ps2 running off a DSE 300w inverter velcros to the passenger kickpanel for some guitar hero action

shame my alternator keeps crapping its pants and rearview mirrors seem to last about 6-8 weeks before snapping off its mounts :(

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Thats a great score for only 1000wrms.......is the car a sedan or wagon?

If its a sedan, where was the box, in the boot?

Either way, great score there mate.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
yeah its a sedan with homemade box i dont have a pic of the rear of the box but it is aorund 5-10 cm from the rear of the boot right to where the boot ramps up to go into the back seat, takes almost the whole boot front to rear

its not a super high quality install just dont out of my driveway and I dont have any special tools lol just did alot of box research, wasnt even supposed to be an SPL system but it does alright ... wouldnt mind a pro install if I had the cash but I dont :(

2913831451_dc5edabdaf.jpg

15042008100.jpg

14042008095.jpg

14042008096.jpg

total air volume with subs installed was 5.1 cubic feet ... its pretty damn big :eek: reccomended for slot port was around 2.6 for each sub but I just didnt have any more room to make it bigger without custom boot hinges or woodwork skills beyond my lowly skills

Reaction score
you do realise that a port is means to be the same crossectional area along its full length, right?

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
yes that was how i originally had it and I was not happy with the sound so it was changed

14042008094.jpg

that was the original shape (not perfectly measured in the pic i know) and was just one big drone once it was all in place, so the design was changed to suit and the subs faced forward in the car instead of rear as there was no room to bass load due to the box size ... like I said im no professional and it does need re-doing

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
wow - i am super impressed with the score given the power, (only 1 run of 4ga no less!) i tried forward facing with a similar box with 1 15 however and it was a dismal failure. What are you tuned to? and what freq did you peak at? your second box still doesnt look consistent through the port what are your box and port specs champ - i may just copy lol. well done

there was a VS in qland that just put out 146.9 st A legal.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
trust me its not that great its loud at certain frequncies its total crap at anything above 60hz - 70 hz depending on how loud it is set im only really happy with the sound with r&b music .. but I hate r&b :p ... my run peaked at 31hz .. I have no desire to run in any kind of sound off comps I just wanted to know how hard it went .. I didnt know it was not a bad result until a few weeks later... I was more interested in team boomz car :p and I will proberbly seal the new setup im using ... as at loud volumes I get coughing fits and almost spew up because of it lol

the system was never setup for SPL comps I was just lucky it did quite well I came from using a 10" sony to the awesome JL's, I would still be 6-8db too low to even be competitive in comps

I managed to get decent power to the amps with only 4ga because its only around 50cm of cable from the batteries to the amps

the box doesnt look right because at that time the port was not fixed in place I was just playing aorund at that stage to see what would sound right sorry I didnt record final measurements I will try and get my hand down there on the weekend as I have to pull my box out to get spare tyre back in somehow lol

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
haha no worries mate i was just curious. 143.8 at 31 is super low... that would wang nicely

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah, great job there....even facing the box into the cabin.....thats awesome, well done ;)

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
eclipse CD5000 4x50w 5v deck
eclipse 250w 6.5in splits in the front
fusion encounter 200w 6.5in splits in the back
option audio 1500w class D monoblock
2x 12" fusion powerplant heavy duties in dual enclosure 18mm mdf box
stinger 4ga power/earth & wafer fuse/rca's
champion powerplus deep cycle batt.