Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My first V8

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Piston slap woo! But they all have it I guess, fine when its warm though. Also High flows tomorrow :)

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
So got some high flow cats and a new x piece put in, sounds awful now :/ the x piece he put in is mild steel not stainless like the rest of the exhaust. So will be going back to get a stainless piece put in.

Oil pressure sensor is gone now so they engine light is on and a code.

Has Piston slap now at 147K on the clock, no idea what I can do about it even though its common.

Tail shaft bearings were shot so had to get them replaced

Might sell or try swap it for a manual, VY and up thinking a clubby, or get a loan and get a purple VE SS.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Sure it's not gudgeon pin noise which people mistake for piston slap as that's a common thing with ls1's noisy internals?
Either way it's not the death of the engine if it's only got 147,000 on it..Have you tried a different grade of oil with some additive like Liqui-Moly? to see if it makes it quiet?
If your swapping or buying another VY, vE etc , take your time and find a low k one without too many issues otherwise you'll be in the same boat in a few years time..

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Ive changed the oil 3 times in the last month to no change in sound. We thought it was lifters but it wasn't them. A friend is a Holden mechanic and he thinks its slight piston slap. It is pretty loud though, I can hear the sound bouncing off fences and walls when I drive by, but you can only hear it at 1500rpm or less.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Update time
IclI6M5.jpg