Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Good to hear about the spirits (non alcoholic ;) ), the job, the tc.
Now don't f#ck em up! Especially the t/c.

Did the Asian man tell you how to fill the transmission or did you learn to fill a transmission on the job?
Yep I watched the apprentice pump about 10 ltrs into a TM that holds about 5. Came pissing out of the bell housing overflow... but yep we did a few that were the same as mine. Start engine and let warm up and wait for drips over a flow from the drain plug...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yep I watched the apprentice pump about 10 ltrs into a TM that holds about 5. Came pissing out of the bell housing overflow... but yep we did a few that were the same as mine. Start engine and let warm up and wait for drips over a flow from the drain plug...
Fill the trans until while the temp is between 30 & 50 degrees. If the oil hasn't started coming out of the drain by the time it's 50, stop. Wait till it cools down to under 50. Run it through the gears while the motor is running. Check the temp, if it's under 50 keep filling, till oil runs out of the drain hole.

The cars has to be level. I put a level on the trans both ways. Long & cross ways.

The temp & level is important!

Good luck.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Fill the trans until while the temp is between 30 & 50 degrees. If the oil hasn't started coming out of the drain by the time it's 50, stop. Wait till it cools down to under 50. Run it through the gears while the motor is running. Check the temp, if it's under 50 keep filling, till oil runs out of the drain hole.

The cars has to be level. I put a level on the trans both ways. Long & cross ways.

The temp & level is important!

Good luck.
My garage floor is bang on so ideal place to do it. Hoping to get the TM in tomorrow or Sunday. Not rushing but do have it sorted as to what, where and when now.

Cant wait, I've missed my car heaps..

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Pluses and minuses with both.

1st is a window, door and shutter fitting company. Company van and fuel card. Start 6am every day at the office which is 15 mins from my home. Guys generally work till about 2 or 3pm.

2nd is a maintenance role in the city. I'd be able to commute on my bike as tbh I HATE going in and out of Brissie anytime as traffic is farked and a killer ain peak times. 1 downside is because you're working in the students rooms I don't think start is till like 9am and would prob work till 4.30/5pm, home by 6pm at the latest. This job will pay a few bucks more PH and one of the perks they advertise in the job description is you can stay at any of their Australia wide campuses for up to 5 days for free, handy! Student campuses for all the work so plenty of hot tottie to perv on ...LMAO. Heading up to have a chat with the 2nd job for 9.30.

Tbh the first is giving me a better vibe as I like early finishes, give me a few hours in the arvo to tinker with the car leaving weekends free to do nice things with the wifey. Getting home around 6pm doesn't give much time for tinkering and I'll spend my weekends on the car, not good for the relationship. She's already told me on numerous times she hates it that she got me to buy the original SS and that went on to swap for the HSV which after all has been a nightmare most of the time with one thing or another since I got it. I noticed I've done 30,000ks since I got it. That's a lot of low power mode trips which still happen now and then.

Decisions decisions, altho the interview might throw sommit I don't like. Pay monthly which I've had in the past is useless to me as I'm shite with money, it burns holes in my pockets ...lol.

Anyway, I'd love an opinion or 2 as tbh half the time *I* can't decide what I want at the best of times...:rolleyes:

:D

A little late here , ( but given you have had lots of jobs( guessing different ) ).
Like variety and are capable .
Go the the 1st = what's not to like ? , company van ,early start, near home and a early finish = more efficient= finish a little earlier.
You had me at variety = the rest is cream!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Did he give you one, that has been beefed up?
Sticker on the TC has the following written on it; description: 6L80E and part: 2074 but the kicker may be *stock**

Drivability is paramount while trying to fix the intermittent limp home mode problem and/or vibrations, etc, so stock TC is probably a good thing atm.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Sticker on the TC has the following written on it; description: 6L80E and part: 2074 but the kicker may be *stock**

Drivability is paramount while trying to fix the intermittent limp home mode problem and/or vibrations, etc, so stock TC is probably a good thing atm.

The ‘stock’ might be related to the stall rpm? I’m just guessing here. Some after market t/c are ‘high(er) stall’, so ‘stock’ is probably to indicate that it is a standard OEM stall unit?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
I'd put money on that my new TC is made up of whatever was salvageable from my old units, with new seal or seals as he said he'd always change them regardless of it needed or not.

Anyway, I had a bit of a debate with the apprentice over whether these pads needed changing or not. I say they had thousands of ks left, he said they always swap em if this is low...

There's heaps to go before metal which is when you change em... (joking).

Old and new...

Screenshot_20240511_083230_Gallery.jpg

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Oil pump back on housing and housing back on the box. Fun and games with the clutch plate wiggles but we got there. I have my inch from Housing to converter bolt top and converter is spinning freely.

20240511_102411.jpg

Now to put the rest together and get it back in the car, that's always fun....lol

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I'd put money on that my new TC is made up of whatever was salvageable from my old units, with new seal or seals as he said he'd always change them regardless of it needed or not.

Anyway, I had a bit of a debate with the apprentice over whether these pads needed changing or not. I say they had thousands of ks left, he said they always swap em if this is low...

There's heaps to go before metal which is when you change em... (joking).

Old and new...

View attachment 267894

Thats pushin' it, those used pads have a little over 50% pad material left.o_O