Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I happy to have a read but where would I find this info? In the owners manual?

I also get what you're saying but this to implies that the system is operating two ways with the engine running? Or how could it draw in petrol as I believe the system is designed to operate one way when the engine is off and the opposite under vacuum?

I suspect that you have already worked it out. The charcoal canister acts as a desiccant for the fuel vapour in the tank (instead of letting it escape to the atmosphere). At some stage, the system needs to replenish the charcoal canister (i.e. purge the captured vapours) so it draws air through it. This is the role of the purge solenoid - switching between those two roles.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I suspect that you have already worked it out. The charcoal canister acts as a desiccant for the fuel vapour in the tank (instead of letting it escape to the atmosphere). At some stage, the system needs to replenish the charcoal canister (i.e. purge the captured vapours) so it draws air through it. This is the role of the purge solenoid - switching between those two roles.

So I can expect my VY charcol cannister to crud itself any day now after me filling it to the brim? It was filled last Friday at the bottom of the fuel cycle...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah but are you saying that with the engine running its going to suck petrol from the tank into the canister?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yeah but are you saying that with the engine running it’s going to suck petrol from the tank into the canister?

Not from the tank itself, the purge system draws air through the charcoal canister. It usually will only have vapours in it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not from the tank itself, the purge system draws air through the charcoal canister. It usually will only have vapours in it.
That's what I thought, so then how does the fuel get sucked into the canister with the engine running? I was of the understanding it can trickle in over a period with the engine shut off, but not really with the engine running. Or can it be sucked through into the canister from the tank with the engine running?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
I think in forums this is commonly referred to as thread hijacked, but I don't mind, use this space to chitty chat... :D

Oh and I put $20.67 in my bike on the way home. This is my total worth and I feel like **** for having to ask my wife to again borrow me money as I have nothing till pay day on Thursday. I had plans of filling my car to the brim, but prob a few weeks away as this pay will be 2 months of rego on the car plus whatever they put on top for being late, insurance as that's ran out (monthly plan) and top of the list is a battery as mine is wanked.

On the plus side I've fixed my other issues (with the wife and kids) so I'm feeling hopeful.

That was it, as you were...

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Oh and I always filled work vehicles till it literally WAS to the brim, I tried to get as much in as possible. Never had a problem...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As long as it's not raining and not freezing cold it's quite good to commute using the bike. Especially now that we are allowed to lane filter, and get to piss off all those driving their SUV's who hate it when we get in front of them at the lights.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
You can fill the car to the brim provided you are travelling afterwards. The problem with petrol it expands when it gets hot. I don't know what happens with newer cars but with the old vented caps it could well empty out on the road.

In NZ where they fill your car for you if you let them they would fill to the brim. I had a few choice words with some of them. It wasn't their fault as they were most probably instructed to do so.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can fill the car to the brim provided you are travelling afterwards. The problem with petrol it expands when it gets hot. I don't know what happens with newer cars but with the old vented caps it could well empty out on the road.

In NZ where they fill your car for you if you let them they would fill to the brim. I had a few choice words with some of them. It wasn't their fault as they were most probably instructed to do so.
Yeah a mate over 35 years ago filled his fathers Val to the top of the neck. Few mins later there was a puddle on the ground. He thought something was damaged but no, somehow those old 70s cars would spew it out somewhere if it was overfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.