Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I suspect that ‘empty’ is about 10L remaining, so the fuel pump can pick up that fuel? So, the 73L tank is probably treated as a 63L tank for the driver information display?

If I factor in that 10L, the information in the DIC seems to be spot on.
actual tank fits more volume close to 80 liters for the 73 usage, there is bout 5 liters before the senders register anything and space above which is why u can drive for 50km before the gauge comes off full, there is a little involved with tank tables primary volume and secondary volume then separate is gauge volume primary and secondary, all have to work together as ive found some small changes can cause issues

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
not sure if they all do may need the calais style center and two side screens ?
SSV might have it, but not Omega SS Series I :rolleyes: I have mileage to empty, and average use and that's it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I suspect that ‘empty’ is about 10L remaining, so the fuel pump can pick up that fuel? So, the 73L tank is probably treated as a 63L tank for the driver information display?

If I factor in that 10L, the information in the DIC seems to be spot on.
IIRC the low fuel lamp is/was primarily to encourage the driver to fill up and save his fuel pump from overheating and failure if one was silly enough to run the tank dry… but not sure if that’s still the case with non return EFI systems but no plan to find out :p

Fuel consumption rates use injector info and distance travelled to do its calculations while distance to empty uses remaining tank volume and is conservative (ie. less than what it would really be) because class action (just ask Audi :p).

I tend to ignore gadgets and fill up when low fuel lamp is on and use tripmeter to work out if I’m using too much fuel (= yes on commodore because of sound :p):oops:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Doubt the accuracy or inaccuracy of, for example, the 1/8 portions of the fuel gauge would deteriorate as the sensor ages. Either the sensor will work and provide a resistance or it won’t.

Really the accuracy or inaccuracy is inherent in the firmware design which compensates the reading taken from the variable resistor…

I suppose I was thinking that one sensor will fail or become grossly inaccurate, but because the system effectively combines the two sensors, it won’t be noticed as a fault as such, but rather the gauge becoming more inaccurate?

Also, I have noticed that spare parts tend to get rationed as time passes, so a specific sensor (for a specific fuel tank) will get substituted with one that is ‘close enough’ rather than being the 100% OEM correct replacement?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
actual tank fits more volume close to 80 liters for the 73 usage, there is bout 5 liters before the senders register anything and space above which is why u can drive for 50km before the gauge comes off full, there is a little involved with tank tables primary volume and secondary volume then separate is gauge volume primary and secondary, all have to work together as ive found some small changes can cause issues
I can fit a fair bit more than 76L if I fill it to the brim. Can't remember how much exactly but its more than 5L after it starts clicking off. Haven't needed to fill it that full in ages but if I'm travelling interstate I will fill it until it can take no more, depending on the price of petrol and the town I'm in.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
these are factory settings most models are something close to it but do change thru the years

fuel-settings.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Also, I have noticed that spare parts tend to get rationed as time passes, so a specific sensor (for a specific fuel tank) will get substituted with one that is ‘close enough’ rather than being the 100% OEM correct replacement?
Hate such rationalisations :mad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I also find the trip meter in mine is not very accurate as some people say theirs are. Mine sits on 15.5-16lph whereas my calcs using full to the brim and 100km driving tests suggest its closer to 14.5lph. Even on interstate trips it registers around 13lph, whereas my test suggest I get about 12lph on the open highway.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I also find the trip meter in mine is not very accurate as some people say theirs are. Mine sits on 15.5-16lph whereas my calcs using full to the brim and 100km driving tests suggest its closer to 14.5lph. Even on interstate trips it registers around 13lph, whereas my test suggest I get about 12lph on the open highway.
u can also adjust the usage calculation in the tune to be able to get it right, your airmodel should be ok with ur tune but when using injectors larger then the ecu can take a thing we all have to do is scale them using the stoich table and flow rate, doing this with the stoich table upsets the fuel usage calc so we have the adjustment to bring it back in line, ive had to do it with mine and many do in the early e38 ecu, ive now had to scale the airmodel in mine as well as injectors are too big to scale just using stoich/flow rate so when im all done ill fill mine and over a few tanks ill adjust it based on the fuel used value and what i fill it to and make that so its close as i can within the variables

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I can fit a fair bit more than 76L if I fill it to the brim. Can't remember how much exactly but its more than 5L after it starts clicking off. Haven't needed to fill it that full in ages but if I'm travelling interstate I will fill it until it can take no more, depending on the price of petrol and the town I'm in.
I don't think you should fill your tank to the brim. I've written about it before, but can't remember the post. Check Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.