Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Haven't played around with a 'modern' auto yet, but did help Dad rebuild a Ford C4 auto trans that was mounted behind a 302W in his Mazda RX4 sedan.
Whaaatttt, and lose the iconic rotary?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Have you had a look, to see where the leak is coming from?

^^^^^ this!

I reckon the source/cause of the leak is the first thing to determine. Hopefully it’s only a relatively minor seal, but no doubt it’ll require the removal of the transmission to replace it.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
^^^^^ this!

I reckon the source/cause of the leak is the first thing to determine. Hopefully it’s only a relatively minor seal, but no doubt it’ll require the removal of the transmission to replace it.
What l thinking was that maybe the leak was where a pipe had to disconnected to get the trans out & reconnected to get it back in,& that maybe where the leak is?

Won't know until he looks?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Yeah tomorrow I'll start pulling apart. The oil leaking was def redish and leaking from where the TM joins the engine. I hope to see it leaking from the input shaft, and my stressing of it has damaged the seal, but what if it's the shaft?... :eek: It'll only take the slightest of bend in that shaft to 1) cause a leak, and 2) possibly cause vibration I would've thought.

I'm preparing for the worst. Old mate with his 40k TM with TC (so I'll have 3... :oops:) for $1200 is still available. I've seen another with no info other than working lol for $500. Wreckers will have and recon places. Good thing about VEs is there's always heaps of parts available. I know HSV stuff not so much but yeah TMs hopefully I'll find a decent if I ve damaged mine. If it isn't obvious which I reckon it won't be it'll prob get dropped off somewhere to get a check over. If the seal is clearly visibly damaged then I may be lucky, but won't get the replacement seal till middle of the week at earliest. So maybe next weekend I can be ready to rebuild again.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
All second hand for sale...

Screenshot_20240421_153515_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240421_153211_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240421_153150_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240421_153132_Facebook.jpg

And then mine...

Screenshot_20240421_153038_Gallery.jpg

Can see where they're restrictive as stock..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Those AM cats look exactly like mine. Yet I was told they would have to be custom made if I wanted to replace the one that has about four or five engine side holes blocked. I suspect those cats could be bought with flanges attached. Finding them sold separately seems the hard part.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Your standard hsv headers aren’t that bad if anything probably just the cats are the restrictive part, I’ve actually got a set on my ssv with some custom de cat pipes as they are an upgrade over stock ss log manifolds

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I'm preparing for the worst. Old mate with his 40k TM with TC (so I'll have 3... :oops:) for $1200 is still available. I've seen another with no info other than working lol for $500. Wreckers will have and recon places. Good thing about VEs is there's always heaps of parts available. I know HSV stuff not so much but yeah TMs hopefully I'll find a decent if I ve damaged mine. If it isn't obvious which I reckon it won't be it'll prob get dropped off somewhere to get a check over. If the seal is clearly visibly damaged then I may be lucky, but won't get the replacement seal till middle of the week at earliest. So maybe next weekend I can be ready to rebuild again.

It‘s good the ‘prepare for the worst and hope for the best’.

I’ve been wondering if not disconnecting the torque converter first, and the possibility that the transmission hanging from the torque converter might have done some mechanical damage (such as bending something) too.

If you have a look at the transmission rebuild video I posted, it shows how the transmission comes apart. It seems that the 6L80 (and 6L90) are relatively easy to work on. But the interesting part is how the pump comes away with the bell housing. Apparently, pump failure is pretty common after a torque converter failure as all the debris from failed torque converter goes through the pump and scores it up. So, replacing the pump (and bell housing) is pretty common. Alternatively, it seems that remachining the bell housing and pump are possible. So, from what I can tell, if something did get damaged when removing the transmission, it’ll probably be confined to the commonly replaced pump parts, bell housing, and maybe the shaft itself. So, not the end of the world.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
From my experience a damaged pump gear is a box full of neutrals, well, except park.

From a older guy who has dabbled with used parts, I now always replace with new parts now, and, I'm a big fan of "whilst we're in there"

Do it right, do it once

Whilst the outlay may be more, the price of mind is priceless

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
It‘s good the ‘prepare for the worst and hope for the best’.

I’ve been wondering if not disconnecting the torque converter first, and the possibility that the transmission hanging from the torque converter might have done some mechanical damage (such as bending something) too.

If you have a look at the transmission rebuild video I posted, it shows how the transmission comes apart. It seems that the 6L80 (and 6L90) are relatively easy to work on. But the interesting part is how the pump comes away with the bell housing. Apparently, pump failure is pretty common after a torque converter failure as all the debris from failed torque converter goes through the pump and scores it up. So, replacing the pump (and bell housing) is pretty common. Alternatively, it seems that remachining the bell housing and pump are possible. So, from what I can tell, if something did get damaged when removing the transmission, it’ll probably be confined to the commonly replaced pump parts, bell housing, and maybe the shaft itself. So, not the end of the world.
Yeah watched a bit of they vid and like you say it comes apart easy enough. Not sure I've got big enough scissors for that clip... :p