Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new E3 GTS <3 I just got one

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Thanks so much Asx ;) I have been thinking and will probably do what you were saying, using the stock butterflys at the rear but also wiring in an override switch to have them always open. I might also have to pick your brain about some basic **** like best way to remove interior parts andstuff like that.

Cheers lads

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So a bit of drama since I have been on here

In the space of the weekend some pleb cut me off causing me to brush the gutter with my rear right wheel. (un)Luckily it scratched the rim a little bit and the only rubber taken off was excess so the tyre is still serviceable. Hoping to get the rims paints gloss black so I wasn't overly pissed but still.

820adf30416b9f673d5278cac7bc5774.jpg

Now for the annoying part. When I first noticed it I was wild but after a little calming down I realised there was a silver lining. The day after the wheel incident, The car was parked in a secure undercover car park out of the way so no one would damage it. Oh how wrong that was... Some cockhead has reversed into the rear bumper and dented it and the boot. As seen in the pics. Now the silver lining is.... we have an excellent panel shop we use for all of our work cars and they are definitely going to look after me when it comes to fixing this. The bumper is going to be replaced which is a bonus and they have to paint the boot so the badges will be coming off and new ones fitted. They seem to think they might get lost and end up in my boot ;) which will help pay for the excess.
1be85e4c373d1e83d32036e7240c72a8.jpg

27967a2d664ff2964f0b886adfd13169.jpg

Last edited:

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Since its going into the panel shop it kind of got me in the modding mood so I have made a little start on all of the cosmetic mods.

All interior globes have been removed and will be replaced with white LED, I will also be adding white led strips into the boot and foot wells. I'm hoping to get some downlights for the doors (like my blue ss) but instead of holden I will either have HSV or GTS. I saw some dreamer on ebay trying to sell them for 220. I knew the exact set he had and they cost like $20 for 2.

So in saying that the whole interior has almost been stripped. It was a little scary to start off with since I haven't really worked with ve' before and you know, cos expensive n ****. But I used a guide and it made it a lot quicker. I did notice it has been stripped before and there were a few things I want to try and fix as you will see in the pictures.

5f0697ebd0f26c511a9ce1e11f22e165.jpg

6eca5e7c71a526a749f87e8c3d6f37dd.jpg

So the first problem one of the monkeys as hsv has caused was with the gear knob, I was wondering why it would twist so easy and that's because theres a blue clip that is part of the knob its self that is almost a press fit into this lever below. Obviously not knowing they have tried to twist it off and bam. Luckily I found a knob on gumtree for only $40 (considering they are like 150 on ebay) that's pretty decent. Im also going to be getting a new boot off ebay with yellow stitching.
a8db621121bd5f60799d4f33bf9a680e.jpg

Heres the old knob, its meant to have a tab coming down
992763b8d89be48428d0eebfb003d501.jpg

My next problem is where the seat bolts are, after stripping most of this dash with out any drama I came to the seat plastics and on my 3rd one I managed to snap one by prying a little too hard, I still am not sure how they come apart but its only a $20 plastic so no drama. If anyone knows how to properly remove these it would be a big help
e091e3040d3aadea5ee54ac674594a66.jpg

d69e3f4b6cac845820c5ff139ceb70a0.jpg

d95cbf74f7bffd624e168170cfeed44f.jpg

So this plug here I found was damaged as well but it still holds together, Its for the usb insert in the centre glove box. I'm going to ask the sparky at my work if its possible to replace the plug but it looks sealed and I probably wont replace the harness so its just gonna get a cable tie to give it a little extra protection in holding it together.
02b66cda286af8db6ed5dc28149f4972.jpg

c4faca038977e427767cc1e5af1dd8fe.jpg

So I thought the glovebox lid was pretty flimsy and at first I thought that it was just a piss poor design but its actualy the clips that kind of act as a stop have broken off from both sides., In saying that yes, a piss poor design. This is a little bit harder to replace because its not just the clips its the whole mount for the centre dash so... I might try and add some materials to it to act as a stop. Basically where the red is in the picture is where the plastic is meant to be.
d97c91d0759af7bdbcdeae9e589791dc.jpg

6292d538bdc55950ddc64bb8e88e8f44.jpg

Just an FYI to anyone with MRC. If you start your car with this unplugged it will bring up an MRC fault code. To remove this fault all you have to do is D/C the battery for like a minute or two and you will be all good. Im not sure why there is silicon on that top LED but it actually isn't working so I will check with the sparky at work if he has any to replace them.
fb669fe62ccac1efb4aa0db66d4ce364.jpg

The scariest part of this whole process. Taking off the main dash fascia. I couldn't find an actual guide for this exact model so I was kind of on my own and was just hoping I got all of the screws out, it was all a success with a bit of yanking. Interesting how the radio and everything is all just a flat face.
28ddeec1013ab11ccea53ddab87ed2c0.jpg

123e6a83c5c79ec911a2ce5ca27fc4f9.jpg

And finally I read in most guides basically, taking this out will damage the clips on the gauge cover a little but it will just be easier to take out in the future. I test fit it again and it isn't overly loose but I will just add some double sided tape prevent movement. The dash mat will also help.

31323328fd791fad9f2029c7fe61a0a6.jpg

And here are all my parts ready for a nice wipe down and some will get wrapped. So im hoping to get a few things wrapped yellow, basically the same as SalutetheUtes interior but I might go a step further and do the rear air con surround, silver part of the cup holders and maybe more im not sure.

46811de87d40ebd4271ccbb4abd79652.jpg

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Also another problem I had found and kind of annoyed me but fixed accidentally.

When I first got my car I gave it a nice wash, since the wash when I tried to change radio stations from 92.9 - 93.7 - 94.5 it would try and find it and take like 20 seconds. Since D/C the battery this fault has gone away. Just a little FYI

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Update onto the gear knob, picked one up tonight. If worse comes to worse I could use that one (its the non leather one) and it would still be alright but I want to try and fix my old one. I might try and see if the actual blue guts come out and if it does ill just swap it with the normal gear knob. Ultimately ill keep my eye out for one with yellow leather but I doubt they even exhist.

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
Very nice GTS.
My rear bumper on my SSV was the same with all the crap in it, i thought possibly could have been repainted in the open elements as it has black specs all within the white paint.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Ye I think its a cross between the brake dust and possibly the exhaust.

So I had a little spare time today and I ordered a few goodies off ebay.

All globes have been ordered and now a custom gear knob boot with yellow stitching also.

Also with my gear knob I had a little play with it and decided I might as well take it apart. Interestingly enough they use the standard ss knob and just cover it with a piece of leather. I was expecting something different for some reason. Anyways the plan is, while the leather is off, to take the black stitching out and replace it with yellow. It's strange they only have red stitching on ebay for some reason so this will be unique I guess.

Here are some pics of me taking the knobs apart, probably one of the hardest things to dismantle on the car. The tabs on the metal/plastic thing are kind of going against each other so its hard not to break them, they also use some form of glue in the holes they sit.

4e6f7ea708fcd427eecc9ca4678803dd.jpg

You can see where the tabs have broken off on both knobs, maybe if anyone was planning on doing this they could try and apply some heat. Im not too bother because ill be removing all of the broken parts and just epoxying the panel back on. That combined with the remaining tabs will be enough to hold it.

b2510f6b6d14d7503043f0f3cd40c56f.jpg

My tooling ahaha
5ea46b221ae823b8f951970cef55a2ad.jpg

So the plan with the old knob is to remove the remaining of the broken clip that seats the knob and create a new clip with a washer/metal tab and epoxy bond it into the whole. I don't see why it wont work. While I have the 1-6th gear plastic panel things off I might give them a paint as well.

8fddee3ae8469d1481da6a090a5f56ae.jpg

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Gear knob is coming along nicely, should be able to sell them and make a bit of cash out of it. I have changed the plans for the knob. I will be redoing the stitching in black but im thinking of dyeing part of the leather on the knob. Also if anyone needs to know the correct way to dissassmble a manual gear knob hit me up.

remove vz ve vy 6 speed gear knob
take apart 6 speed gear knob

The above is used as tags for people trying to search google.