Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My S2 Berlina

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Im pretty sure to remove the front bumper, its just the screws at the side, in the wheel arch, at the bottom, where the inner guard screws into, and the ones ontop under the bonnet? maybe the number plate screws too? - not sure about them? ORR under the number plate, I think I remember seeing screws under there?? then just pull it 'firmly' out of those clips under the headlights..

Not too sure about the amount of paint though? is the black a metallic? or just a solid, if its a metallic you will need a clear, possibly even if its not? but check that with some one that knows a little more than me!!

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I removed all the screws but I mustn't have removed all the clips, probably the ones near the headlights.

I think that the front spoiler bit is just solid but I may be wrong. I don't think it has the gloss off a clear coated paint but what would I know.

I spose it would be good practice because my dad and I are going to give the little lancer a full respray. Should be fun... until we start and discover the 1000's of problems that will arise.

I was also thinking of painting the grill, once I mod it, to a matt black rather than the standard greyish black. Make it blend in with the rest of the front a bit more.

If all goes well, the chrome strip should be installed maybe next weekend :thumbsup:

Only 4 weeks from today until I can sit my P's test!!! I'm sorta starting to stress a bit and am hoping for the best but have in the back of my mind that the guy will fail me just because it's my first attempt. Both my dad and instructor say I'm easily good enough to pass the test, it just depends on how much of a tool the tester wants to be on the day. I'm going on my B'day too so it'll suck so much if I fail.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Ahh k, yeah those clips under/next to the headlights are a pain the first time you pull them off - you don't want to 'rip' the bumper off, but you need to put a bit of effort into them, lol..

Being a black, it could be a solid colour - non metallic, not sure on the clear though, not sure how to tell either?!! maybe ask you spray painter mate of your dads?

You could probly just get a can or two made up of the black, in acrylic, (from a panel beating supplies shop?) then just use a can of plasti-prime, (a plastic primer with built in normal primer? lol, so you can spray over it with acrylic/2 pack, I got some from autobarn, K&H brand I think?) give it a rub back then use the can of black over it.. If it hasnt got a clear over it sweet - just a colour sand - with like 2000grit paper to remove any little imperfections/peel, and a good cut and polish!

That should see it looking pretty good, with out the added effort of getting the gun out and doing a full on paintjob...

Goodluck with the paintjob on the lancer, should be a good learning curve for you two, wish my dad had some interest in helping out, he usually says im stupid for ruining a good car, lol!!

Where did you get your chrome strip from?? and how much? still want one for the front of my beast, haha..

And Goodluck with your 'P's mate, if your confident enough without being cocky, you should be fine, it is possible to get em first go, I did!! lol, but like you said, if the guys being a tool, he'll fail you for anything..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The lip spoiler has the ten screw positions moulded into it, but has no template to act as a guide for drilling.

I removed the front facia, turned it upside down and taped the spoiler into place. I put masking tape on the facia at each screw point, then measured the distance from the top edge of the spoiler to the centre of each screw. This measurement was marked on the bumper where I had already put the tape. Holes were drilled slightly oversize to allow for error and the spoiler was trial fitted. Once I had all the holes correct, I fitted the spoiler and replaced the bumper on the car. At this stage, I had not rubbed the spoiler back.

The spoiler is moulded in smooth black plastic and only needs a light rub back with fine wet and dry to scuff the surface slightly. The bumper facia was masked off and the lip was sprayed with plastic primer. I didn't respray the bumper as it was in top condition and the paint match was good. The colour is Martini Mica, so clear was applied after about four or five coats of colour.

Duk13y - your car is painted in Phantom metallic, so it will need the clear coats too. If your bumper paint is in good condition, just mask the spoiler and spray it by itself.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Goodluck with the paintjob on the lancer, should be a good learning curve for you two, wish my dad had some interest in helping out, he usually says im stupid for ruining a good car, lol!!

Where did you get your chrome strip from?? and how much? still want one for the front of my beast, haha..

Thanks mate. Will be a big job but I'm looking forward to it. My mum still doesn't know what we plan to do so it might come as a shock to her when she sees the car with no bonnet while we prep it for painting :whistling

I was getting the chrome strip from ebay and bid $50 as it was only a second hand item. I got outbid today and the two guys had a bidding war and it ended up selling for about $150. You can get em brand new from holden for about $110.

So unfortunately I will not have the chrome strip for another month or so.

Duk13y - your car is painted in Phantom metallic, so it will need the clear coats too. If your bumper paint is in good condition, just mask the spoiler and spray it by itself.

Thanks mate. Very useful. Will probably get this done soon after I get my P's. lol.. I have so many plans for what to do when I get my P's and now I don't know what to do first. I really want my dash phreddied so I'll have to try and make a booking as soon as I can. I've sent 2 or 3 emails and maybe 2 more PM's; he's really hard to get hold of.

I was thinking blue dash with the blue morphing needles. Then get my climate control done, etc. I'm also going to get myself a 7" 2-din headunit so I'm on the lookout for good ones for under $1500, preferably around the $700-$1200 mark.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks mate. Will be a big job but I'm looking forward to it. My mum still doesn't know what we plan to do so it might come as a shock to her when she sees the car with no bonnet while we prep it for painting :whistling

I was getting the chrome strip from ebay and bid $50 as it was only a second hand item. I got outbid today and the two guys had a bidding war and it ended up selling for about $150. You can get em brand new from holden for about $110.

So unfortunately I will not have the chrome strip for another month or so.

Thanks mate. Very useful. Will probably get this done soon after I get my P's. lol.. I have so many plans for what to do when I get my P's and now I don't know what to do first. I really want my dash phreddied so I'll have to try and make a booking as soon as I can. I've sent 2 or 3 emails and maybe 2 more PM's; he's really hard to get hold of.

I was thinking blue dash with the blue morphing needles. Then get my climate control done, etc. I'm also going to get myself a 7" 2-din headunit so I'm on the lookout for good ones for under $1500, preferably around the $700-$1200 mark.

Mate,

Your folks must be pretty good to let you muck around with the car so much when technically, it's still theirs. How long before it becomes yours?

Also, don't forget the info I sent you recently regarding the chrome bonnet strip. Ylou can pick that up pretty easily - it's the mounting bracket for it that's so hard to come by.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
haha.. most of the stuff I do to the car, I just buy and put on and they don't even notice, or start the job then when they ask what I'm doing it's to late to go back :p.

I get the car basically as soon as I get my P's so hopefully that should be on the 9th of July. So just over 3 weeks away.

I'll write the stuff down regarding the chrome lip as I'll need it when I eventually talk to holden. Hopefully I should have it by the end of the month (assuming I get my P's).

makazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
looks real good mate, definetly needs rims though
excellent job on the headlights, will be doing it to mine when i find the time

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Cheers mate. I know it needs to be lowered and some nice black rims but I'm only 16 and I can barely afford the rego, insurance and fuel. Might consider it next time it needs a tyre change.