Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Torana Rebuild

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
really appreciating the metal work dude. skills to pay the bills. its all in the details... loving the 383 too

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
that was a pretty big call coming from a BMW drive seeings they havent changed there body design for the last 30 years hahahah ...... love this build spent many productive days at work watching this come to life keep up the good work oh and i think it should go back to black :)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I loved this thing as an L67 but the 383 should annoy the neighbours sufficiently lol

lol, screw the neighbours, they'll get over it.

383 is a great idea, now your car will have the power and the sound to match the looks.

Thanks mate, it should be the whole package now. It's always had the tough look, but never a "tough" engine in it. Don't get me wrong the L67 was a whole lot of fun, but it's just not the direction i want to head in now.

really appreciating the metal work dude. skills to pay the bills. its all in the details... loving the 383 too

Cheers. The metal work is certainly coming along now, i'm pretty much done with the rust repairs. I started doing the other tub yesterday, but once i get off here i've got another car to work on today, so the tub will have to wait. 383 should be nice.

that was a pretty big call coming from a BMW drive seeings they havent changed there body design for the last 30 years hahahah ...... love this build spent many productive days at work watching this come to life keep up the good work oh and i think it should go back to black :)

Thanks mate, i'll keep the updates coming. I'm still not 100% decided on the colour yet, i don't think it will be fully settled until i buy the paint lol.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update time.

Well, i spent my Australia day the only way i know how, that is in the shed working on my Australian car lol.

So, I made a start on the drivers side tub. I got the tub all cut out, the lips trimmed back to the chassis rail, the rear of the rail notched and the spring bucket cut back (all the same as the other side). Then i fitted the wheel under to make sure the clearance is right, which it is.

Also i fitted my $100 second hand Victor Junior manifold to see if it would fit under the bonnet. Turns out it's still a tight fit, but it will fit under. I had to cut out the inner bonnet bracing to gain the required clearance.

Pics time:

Tub cut out and wheel fitted under.
IMGP2864600x450.jpg

IMGP2865600x450.jpg

Outside:
IMGP2866600x450.jpg

IMGP2867600x450.jpg

How the engine will look, this all fits under the bonnet:
IMGP2862600x450.jpg

Bonnet brace removed (i will cap the open part where i cut the brace out to make it look neat)
IMGP2861600x450.jpg

Clearance:
IMGP2860600x450.jpg

LX bonnet fitted, the start of the front conversion:
IMGP2863600x450.jpg

That's all for now. I hope to get the inner tub paint stripped at work tomorrow and possibly get it all welded back in on the weekend.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Wow that's a tight fit, but it's in there. Good job mate. Gonna be smick when it's done.

Off topic, but I picked up a set of the headers that you're running on the ute to use on the panno. Cheers for that. :spot on:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow that's a tight fit, but it's in there. Good job mate. Gonna be smick when it's done.

Off topic, but I picked up a set of the headers that you're running on the ute to use on the panno. Cheers for that. :spot on:

Yeh, it certainly is a tight fit. However, i might just modify the mounts a little bit to drop the engine ever so slightly. I'm going to run an engine plate (just a rear one still using the original mounts aswell) so engine movement won't be a problem.

I was determined not to run a scoop.

No worries, happy to help mate. I did the engine conversion in my ute on the cheap, so i used everything out of the Commodore i possibly could. If you need anymore help, just ask mate.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Are you selling the L67...? I'm keen...

The V8's choice... i'd just keep going and and have a massive 6/71 poking through but i can apreciate your restraint.

The tubs look mad.

aZk.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
The L67 is for sale, however i have a guy interested at the moment that is looking to buy it as a complete conversion to put in another Torana. If that falls through i'll be putting it up for sale.

I'd love a proper blown motor, but it's really impractical and i want to be able to use this car so i'm trying to keep it as sedate as possible from the outside (apart from the big wheels) hence why i'm not keen on running a scoop or anything. Also, i don't have the disposable cash to build a strong, reliable blown motor. So the 383 will be fine. It should make 450HP (mabye a tad more) so it'll be fast enough for me.

The tubs are coming up well, they'll look a treat when they're all finished.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
wow this has changed a bit since i last checked the thread, looking good though!

why did you go carby on your SBC?