Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my vl wont rev

J

justkav

hey guys i have a vl and it wont rev over 2,000 rpm its ok at idle but when u get on the gas it chokes and breakes down now i have checked the air flow meter thats fine i did change the crank angle sender but not sure wether it works 100% please can any one tell me what the hell is wrong with it please?
plugs have been replaced and fuel filter has been checked fuel pump has been renewed as well cheers

ghostmobile

Reaction score
Members Ride
87vl
did u check fuel pump in tank?on this pump is a sack might need cleaning,mine had same problem it turned out to be a 1inch fuel line attiching pump in tank to fuel line,you will find this inside fuel tank, next to the pump under rear end is a circle plate with about 6-8 bolts 8mm i think, that is attached to fuel pump take that out check line and sack good luck let me know how u go

hertygerty

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Most trouble when it won`t go above 2000 rpm it is in limp mode .easy way to test is unplug lead to AFM and start car if did does the same i would suppect the AFM, If you have friend that has another VL try swapping AFM and if it comes good then you know .

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
check the air flow meter plug.....they can stuff up too and cause the same problem

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Ah I may have the answer. Can you tell me if the car was running ok before you changed the crank angle sensor? If it was you may have done what many inexperienced people do and put the rotor plate upside down and the car will still run but very poorly. If this does not help then possibly yes the high pressure fuel pump may be faulty and not running as they do have two pumps! Hope this helps

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
mine done that after the water pump shat itself when the mech reset the computer it was fine

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
sounds like somethgin to do with the afm, it could be as simple as cleanign the connections. what you can also do it test the resistance

be_inspyred

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo & VT SS 5.0
try the wiring to the AFM and spray the plug connection with WD40, also the resistance between pin 1 and 6 should be approx 381ohms, adjust it by turning the screw, if you cant see the screw smash that plastic cap/plug with a screwdriver.

cheers

J

justkav

thanks guys i figured out the problem was the crank angle sensor now it run relly well cheers kav

M

megee83

i had the exact same prob with mine and was the AFM, jus wondering if this is a symptom of a number of engine management problems, ie if the same thing happens as a result of faulty AFM, CAS, other things also? anyone know?

also id suggest a good place to start with any electrical problem in the future is the computers self-diagnostic function , can save you the hassle of needless stuffin around.