Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VY Acclaim SerII

VYHDT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HDT
Get photos of the bits of the road that damaged your car if possible, put something next to it to show how big it is. Same thing happened to my mate, he took photos, got quotes for new wheels/repairing the existing ones n all that...council bought him 2 new rims :)

That's what I did :)

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
how much was the chrome bonnet strip?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
howd you go fitting that chrome strip? can you just tape it on or do you need the screw holes? ive wanted one for ages but seeing as its for the vz bonnet with deeper 'slits' in the bonnet i didnt think it would look good but looks great, just hope i can get away without drilling holes in my bonnet if i wanna change it later.
cant wait to see it with a badge haha

The Chrome strip was easy-ish to put on - with the right tool. They are attached by 7 or 8 screws that screw into the under side of your bonnet - no drilling required.
Its removable and you wouldn't know it was there from the outside. You need to attach the bracket that holds it to the bonnet; then screw the Chrome part on afterwards.

Theres hex shaped holes in the skeleton/re-inforcement of the bonnet , around the latch area.
You need to get the special Nut inserts from Holden, and install them with a NutSert tool, basically a pop riviter, but with a threaded rod attachment that screws into the nut, and compresses it to sandwhich the nut around the bonnet reinforcement.

Not sure if they're cheap, or easy to come by, but being a Mechanic work had one so I borrowed it over the weekend and voila!
Maybe see if a local Workshop has one you can borrow, or will do it for a drink or two?

This one is off a VY Calais, (as I have a VY bonnet) but you can find VZ Calais ones easier, there seems to be more of them around for some reason? I rekon they would suit the VZ better because of the ridges that run down the bonnet, so it sort of fits in nicely.

Get photos of the bits of the road that damaged your car if possible, put something next to it to show how big it is. Same thing happened to my mate, he took photos, got quotes for new wheels/repairing the existing ones n all that...council bought him 2 new rims :)

Yeah, will try and get some. One of them has been filled - but took them over a week to fill it. Not sure on the other one as I haven't been back down that way since?

That's what I did :)

Sounds like a plan, who at the council did you send it too? Just like a general enquiries email/postal address?
Wouldn't happen to have that letter you sent them close by would you???! :) lol.

how much was the chrome bonnet strip?

I think around $150, then I had to buy the screws and Nutserts from Holden. Around $15-20 for everything.

where did u get the vy crome strip from i cant find any on ebay

On ebay, it was second hand - but like new. They pop up every now and again, just gotta keep an eye out.
Took me a few months to get this one - there was one other that I saw and bid on, but got outbid on as I didn't want to spend that much - around $100.

Then I saw this one and was like "I don't care, its mine..." :p

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Man thats a massive pain with the wheels! What size tyres were you running? If you keep the 20's on go something a little wider, might protect them a bit more

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
If you keep the 20's on go something a little wider, might protect them a bit more
+1. Looks like the pothole broke the bead because the tyre is too stretched on the rim. Bead broken = no air = wheel gets farked.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Man thats a massive pain with the wheels! What size tyres were you running? If you keep the 20's on go something a little wider, might protect them a bit more

'ken oath. Stupid roads. 225/35/20. Can't really run any wider with that offset rim on the fronts, the inner edge of the tyre scrubs on the spring saddle/strut/tower...

+1. Looks like the pothole broke the bead because the tyre is too stretched on the rim. Bead broken = no air = wheel gets farked.

Nah, looks like **** roads, pot hole buckeled the rim = which broke the seal between the tyre and rim = which lead to farked tyre. Tyres weren't that stretched, 225 on 8.5" rims.

If the council maintain their roads there wouldn't be an issue...? I mean, if the RTA can keep their main roads (half) maintained, council should be able to do their roads...

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
225/35 on an 8.5" rim is a fair stretch, at minimum the rears should fit a 245/30? That's the 'legal' size, usually fits quite well. Still a massive pain though mate!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
225/35 on an 8.5" rim is a fair stretch, at minimum the rears should fit a 245/30? That's the 'legal' size, usually fits quite well. Still a massive pain though mate!

Legal? Cars engineered with these rims and tyres on it?!

Can get 245's on the back, but I like to put the old fronts on the rears when I get two new tyres on the front. lolwut?! :/

Anyway, next pic you see should look something like this... :D

zeussy-000.jpg

And a big thanks to Richie for the chop! Made my mind up.

Look good in white too! :confused:

zeussy-002.jpg

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Ive been wondering about this thread.. Sorted those wheels out yet?