Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VY is sick

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
G'day i bought my car from 'Car Auction Sydney' and two weeks on im having a few pronlems. Now, they gave me this warranty they said was like a "new car warranty"

1. The sidetank on the radiator cracked (not covered under warranty) so that obviously needed replacing.. new heavy duty radiator in now and its going good.

2. But now, im getting a buzzing noise coming from what the mechanic said, my power steering pump.. he said it could just be air in the line if not im up for a new pump and rack. should i be ringing up the car dealership and giving them a piece of my mind or what should i do?

Cheers

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yep, ring them for sure. Most of the extended warranty plans refer to replacing only parts that are "internally lubricated" and would specifically mention things like power steering pumps.

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
thought auctions had no warranties?

if clearing air from lines doesn't work, try getting the upgraded power steer pipes installed, they are stiffer and don't shudder, if that fails you can do a swap with reco/re manufactured rack and pump just as good as new, a lot cheaper too.

HoldrodeoLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
just got off the phone from the dealership, and they are willing to have a "look" at it and make repairs if needed..

i think i only have my self to blame but.. i shoudl of really looked over the car well before i bought it.. but then again why cant they just sell us half decent cars..

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
VY is hitting 5+ years old now, small things will go wrong (as with all cars), fix them up and you will have a great car that wont let you down, just make sure to fix things before they get serious. If steering boots are deteriorated and or cracks, replace them immediately before seal damage is done, staying on top of the game will be cheaper in the long run :)

HoldrodeoLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
While im sought of on the topic id just like to congratulate my self a great job of changing my radiator around to the heavy duty one plus replacing my top and bottem hoses and thermo.. i dont have much labour experience with cars but everything went great and she works a beut now :) :dance:

Nicole

Holden Newbie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY-II Berlina
VY is hitting 5+ years old now, small things will go wrong (as with all cars), fix them up and you will have a great car that wont let you down, just make sure to fix things before they get serious. If steering boots are deteriorated and or cracks, replace them immediately before seal damage is done, staying on top of the game will be cheaper in the long run :)

So true.

Whenever I buy a car (I'm on my 6th at the age of 25 - impulsive female I know) I always do so with a "buyer beware" attitude. No matter how good a car may seem or what warranty is given (which, you'll probably find out means diddly squat on a second hand car) general/common problems can arise from a car that is getting to the age of moving parts needing repair or replacement.

From what you have described, it (truely) could be much worse. How I look at it, is I'd rather have these things done by my own mechanic properly rather than a cheap bodge up done in order to sell the car.

Personally, I'd be getting air in the line/s checked first. If it isn't this and turns out to be the pump /or rack, then (and only then) would I take it back to the people you purchased it from...

Nicole

HoldrodeoLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i might ring up my local mechanic and get the low down on how to get all the air out before i take it back.. or if any one whos reading knows how to go about this then any help would be greatly appreciated..