Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Got black factory roof on my jungle green redline and I love it. Looks way better than any wrap job!

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hi all, been reading this thread for a while now, interesting stuff. There’s been a lot of speculation so I thought I’d throw my two bits worth in, just for fun. There are a couple of points I’m a little suspect on. Holden have done a fantastic job of keeping the details of the final commodores secret, even the Elizabeth plant workers won’t talk or don’t know many/any details, why, for a couple of minor interior detail updates, I don’t think so. Why the 3-4K increase in the price for the redline, the blackout option and replacement of the carbon fiber interior parts would have little impact on production cost.

I think there is something bigger going on to warrant the effort made on the secrecy. From a production point of view, this would have been planned 18 months ago (or more) by a small team to allow testing assessment, approval, lead times etc etc. The changes to the interior parts shows a willingness to change component orders, granted its small but it is a clue. I believe Holden will give the VF a decent send off, as they have stated they will.

Its been speculated there will be three/four models, a Director (former Calais V), a Motorsport Edition (former Redline), a Commemorative Edition (New) and the Magnum (former Redline Ute). Speaking to the (claimed) largest Holden master? dealer in Australia, they are getting three manual CE’s for the year, (I’m only talking about manual vehicles). Considering the number of cars provided to each dealer is based on previous sales the total number of CE’s must be less than 100-200, makes you wonder why they’d bother unless a large number have been spoken for by “Holden friends”. This dealer will get a total of 10 manual Relines/ME’s at $59,990 DA, add 2K for autos, estimated add 6K for CE’s. There was 1 manual SS available at $52, 250 in Jan and that was it for the year and 1 SSVR Y (black roof) so previous posts on Black roofs availability is confusing, unless this is now standard.

WRT power increases people seem to have discarded this. If you check out the Harrop site the stage one tune is basically a new cold air filter box and a ECU tune for 350kw, costs $1700 and includes a new engine cover. Harrop claim AVERAGE fuel consumption is reduced but would be at minor cost to midrange. Holden could certainly introduce this with minimal increase to production cost/process.

(I did see something about reduced mileage claim in GM application for EPA license to manufacture…).

I asked the sales person what happens with the options I order if they become standard for MY17, she said they will just be deleted from the contract. Cars can be ordered and colours changed before production code 32 is reached. Options can be changed up to a month prior to production.

Dealer distribution doc’s show all MY17 cars using MY16 names. There is no director etc but there is a reference to a “special edition” which they have no details on at all.

For me there was a 3k difference between the MY16 and MY17 SSVR, less when the MY16 was optioned with the blackout kit which I wanted. Any extra options reserved for the final year is a bonus, at the end of the day regardless of options we will be getting one of the best value for money drivers cars available today. Australian engineering is under-rated by Australians, the Zeta platform is under-rated by GM, it’s a shame except for those in the know, so I’m told. Rock on 19th Jan and Super Coach, when are you going to spill the beans now the cars are on the line? You were pretty quick to trade in the brand new SSVR on your MY17 MEJ.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Martin Norris.

Best post in this thread by far. I'm with you regarding the very last special builds. Surely it has to comprise more than blacked-out trim and roof and a few red stripes. I can't believe the level of discussion and expectation we've seen on this thread over such trivial dress-ups.

IMO the year and the VF2 have to go out with a REAL bang consisting of limited edition series of Calais and SSV's. As for cost - well, only the General knows.

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Thanks Calaber, you know the clincher for me was when I watched the video review on one of the US sites where they compared the 2016 Chev SS against the E39 M5, when they start making those sort of comparisons you know you're onto a good thing. If you haven't seen it you should have a look, pretty funny too.
A few months back there was a post where a person stated he'd seen the ME as a mock-up, said it had everything on it and looked fantastic, he was somehow connected to Holden (employee or something). He stated the price was $49990 with $10000 discount. Then he stated that's all from me. The interesting thing is his price matched exactly what I was told last week from the dealer which makes me think his comments were accurate. Do you reckon I can find that post now....no!
The costs I stated for the SSVR/ME is accurate, its written on my contract. The 6K for the CE is what the dealer stated as an estimate, maybe they know more than they are letting on at this stage?
Anyway, my SSVR/ME deposit is in for June, can't make up my mind on the colour though. Dealer said not to worry, confirm by May.

vf2v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
I'd think this colour could suit the red highlights of the Director model the best.

And if you're really in the mood for something different, add a set of Red Hot Track Stripes to Son Of A Gun

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Thanks Calaber, you know the clincher for me was when I watched the video review on one of the US sites where they compared the 2016 Chev SS against the E39 M5, when they start making those sort of comparisons you know you're onto a good thing. If you haven't seen it you should have a look, pretty funny too.
A few months back there was a post where a person stated he'd seen the ME as a mock-up, said it had everything on it and looked fantastic, he was somehow connected to Holden (employee or something). He stated the price was $49990 with $10000 discount. Then he stated that's all from me. The interesting thing is his price matched exactly what I was told last week from the dealer which makes me think his comments were accurate. Do you reckon I can find that post now....no!
The costs I stated for the SSVR/ME is accurate, its written on my contract. The 6K for the CE is what the dealer stated as an estimate, maybe they know more than they are letting on at this stage?
Anyway, my SSVR/ME deposit is in for June, can't make up my mind on the colour though. Dealer said not to worry, confirm by May.

Great posts Martin, so your dealer told you last week the motorsport special edition will retail at 59,990 (for a manual I assume)
What price have you got written into your contract for the ME?
I am getting bugger all info out of dealers here in SA, I end up telling them info learned from here

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I highly doubt that rrp for Motorsport edition will be $59,990.
If you have placed a deposit on that assumption you may need to prepare yourself for a rude shock.
Edit: I think that is the price excluding on road costs, so add another $10k for the drive away price.

Last edited:

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Hi all, been reading this thread for a while now, interesting stuff. There’s been a lot of speculation so I thought I’d throw my two bits worth in, just for fun. There are a couple of points I’m a little suspect on. Holden have done a fantastic job of keeping the details of the final commodores secret, even the Elizabeth plant workers won’t talk or don’t know many/any details, why, for a couple of minor interior detail updates, I don’t think so. Why the 3-4K increase in the price for the redline, the blackout option and replacement of the carbon fiber interior parts would have little impact on production cost.

I think there is something bigger going on to warrant the effort made on the secrecy. From a production point of view, this would have been planned 18 months ago (or more) by a small team to allow testing assessment, approval, lead times etc etc. The changes to the interior parts shows a willingness to change component orders, granted its small but it is a clue. I believe Holden will give the VF a decent send off, as they have stated they will.

Its been speculated there will be three/four models, a Director (former Calais V), a Motorsport Edition (former Redline), a Commemorative Edition (New) and the Magnum (former Redline Ute). Speaking to the (claimed) largest Holden master? dealer in Australia, they are getting three manual CE’s for the year, (I’m only talking about manual vehicles). Considering the number of cars provided to each dealer is based on previous sales the total number of CE’s must be less than 100-200, makes you wonder why they’d bother unless a large number have been spoken for by “Holden friends”. This dealer will get a total of 10 manual Relines/ME’s at $59,990 DA, add 2K for autos, estimated add 6K for CE’s. There was 1 manual SS available at $52, 250 in Jan and that was it for the year and 1 SSVR Y (black roof) so previous posts on Black roofs availability is confusing, unless this is now standard.

WRT power increases people seem to have discarded this. If you check out the Harrop site the stage one tune is basically a new cold air filter box and a ECU tune for 350kw, costs $1700 and includes a new engine cover. Harrop claim AVERAGE fuel consumption is reduced but would be at minor cost to midrange. Holden could certainly introduce this with minimal increase to production cost/process.

(I did see something about reduced mileage claim in GM application for EPA license to manufacture…).

I asked the sales person what happens with the options I order if they become standard for MY17, she said they will just be deleted from the contract. Cars can be ordered and colours changed before production code 32 is reached. Options can be changed up to a month prior to production.

Dealer distribution doc’s show all MY17 cars using MY16 names. There is no director etc but there is a reference to a “special edition” which they have no details on at all.

For me there was a 3k difference between the MY16 and MY17 SSVR, less when the MY16 was optioned with the blackout kit which I wanted. Any extra options reserved for the final year is a bonus, at the end of the day regardless of options we will be getting one of the best value for money drivers cars available today. Australian engineering is under-rated by Australians, the Zeta platform is under-rated by GM, it’s a shame except for those in the know, so I’m told. Rock on 19th Jan and Super Coach, when are you going to spill the beans now the cars are on the line? You were pretty quick to trade in the brand new SSVR on your MY17 MEJ.
You raise quite a few interesting and compelling points, I for one will be over the moon with my brand new 2017 in 80 days when it should be in my driveway (taking forever I might add) but like you say something isn't quite adding up, let's just hope if there are surprises, they are good ones.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Normal MY17 Redlines are $60k driveaway so that price doesn't include onroads. Onroads will bring it closer to $70k which is more realistic for a special edition.

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
I highly doubt that rrp for Motorsport edition will be $59,990.
If you have placed a deposit on that assumption you may need to prepare yourself for a rude shock.
Edit: I think that is the price excluding on road costs, so add another $10k for the drive away price.
Yes i think so. Recently my dealer told me that if you walked in to order a standard manual redline now it would be around 63K with no extras because there is no dealer discounts. Although he also said way back that reserve edition rims were unavailable fullstop as an option and that employee discounts would be unavailable on any v8. Perhaps he means only dealer employees as there have been prior posts about employee pricing.