Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
My dealer seems to think that chrome will be a no cost option although hasn't confirmed it.
There is also a pic of a my17 ssvr wagon in light my fire a few pages back in this thread which has the chrome.

I will be mighty disappointed if im stuck with black.
Even if it can be changed afterwards, there is something about pulling apart and putting back together a brand new car that just doesn't sit well with me.

We'll just swap,..you can have all my chrome window trims!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Guess Holden saw my order last year and liked the look of it and decided to use on all MY17 models haha ;)

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
My dealer seems to think that chrome will be a no cost option although hasn't confirmed it.
There is also a pic of a my17 ssvr wagon in light my fire a few pages back in this thread which has the chrome.

I will be mighty disappointed if im stuck with black.
Even if it can be changed afterwards, there is something about pulling apart and putting back together a brand new car that just doesn't sit well with me.

I think the thing with those photos (and that LMF wagon) is they are all my16, just running a test colour, cause it's 100% the my17 has blackout kit including mirror scalps. I had just thought they would keep the window trim, but everything is leaning towards they are blacking that out too..

Disappointing on a $60k spend

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
For many of us who prefer the black and wanted to change various bits, the standard blackout kit on an MY17 Redline sort of helps offset the increased 'market' price (vent, DRL, grilles x2 were >$800 option and the window trim >$500). Chrome on the Calais make sense but not on the sports models.

You don't have to pay through the nose retail on ANY of those parts. All OEM parts are available from 3rd party dealers & eBay far cheaper.

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
That much black really makes it look like a base model.

Not at all. I get compliments all the time. I also upgraded to 20" Hf's & together with the xforce exhaust, Sports Armour, black lion logos, full sized wing, all LED lights, stub aerial & all the blackouts,..she looks looks the deal!

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Not at all. I get compliments all the time. I also upgraded to 20" Hf's & together with the xforce exhaust, Sports Armour, black lion logos, full sized wing, all LED lights, stub aerial & all the blackouts,..she looks looks the deal!
Good thing we all have different tastes.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Obviously everyone has different tastes, but imo black just cheapens the car incredibly. If I wanted a base model I would have bought an Evoke, not a 60k top of the range ssvr.
I saw a phantom black ssvr with the blackout kit the other day and it looked absolutely ridiculous, just a complete overload of black. From some angles it didnt even look like a redline.

I will be waiting till the 19th then approaching the dealer regarding this. If the chrome isnt available as a no cost option then I will be insisting that the black be swapped to chrome at no cost to me.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
You don't have to pay through the nose retail on ANY of those parts. All OEM parts are available from 3rd party dealers & eBay far cheaper.
Agreed I did find them at least 1/3rd cheaper on ebay but then you have to fit yourself (although i'd rather do that than let the workshop apprentices loose with my new car). Checked out what was involved e.g removing the front bumper bar to do the grilles etc, and so glad Holden is doing it at the factory!

Apart from that I think that the chrome vs black argument really depends on your car colour, white and red seem good either way but other colours like green seem better with black. Besides the chrome around the windows doesn't look quite right with a jet black window tint

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I wonder if this is a marketing ploy? Strip off the chrome and make the standard MY17s look a little down market and call it a special blackout package (that they used to charge more for - even though it would actually be cheaper to make). Then, for the limited edition models, bring back the chrome!

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Whether you think the blackout cheapens the car or the chrome dates it, it's personal taste and I'd suggest having a look at one (if you can) at the dealership before changing options. It would be nice to think the chrome will be a no cost option.