Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
To zero and Cuda, and all Holden fans here,

It's unfortunate that Holden has to shut down their last manufacturing plant, but people are just not buying the big Aussie car any more. From their first cars produced in the 40s-50s, there were around 5-6 manufacturing plants around Australia. Holden was down to one in Elizabeth, Ford had one in Broadmeadows, and Toyota had one in Altona. The fact that both Holden and Ford struggled to sustain the big 6/V6/V8, meant that the manufacturing had to close. They were producing 140,000 cars a year at one stage, now down to 20,000 Commodores in 2017. The government had a big part to the closures, as they did not compensate enough for them to stay open, but countries like Germany and USA have to compensate for car manufacturing to remain. Toyota did not have an issue with production, so why did they announce closure similar to Holden, and manufacturing will also cease by end of 2017.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the big Aussie Holden and I am saddened with the closure of Holden's last manufacturing plant. I have had big Holdens in my family for years, from EH Special, HQ Kingswood, HZ Kingswood SL, VR Berlina, and finally a VFII SS-V Redline (my first V8 ever.) My wife states that our VR Berlina was the best car she has had in our family. Now she drives a Mazda CX-3 because that suits her (size/style), and many people have choices with buying smaller cars or SUVs or smaller family cars. There are a lot more choices today than what there were 30-40 years ago.

I'd love for the big muscle car to go on for a long time, but choice means we can add 2 cylinders or subtract 2 cylinders. Ok have a go at me and state the V8 should last forever :rolleyes:
When I was a young boy I was fascinated by V8s, the big American imports (Customlines, Chevys, Plymouths, etc) and even Trucks because they sounded good and represented power (there's no substitute for cubes). Now there are plenty of substitutes with different technologies. I always wanted a V8 but never in the budget. Then they were almost killed off in the 70s due to fuel prices. So when it came time to trade in the family VN Wagon in 1995, we took a V8 Commodore for a run and were wrapped in the smoothness and effortless drive. I said to my wife that this may be the last chance to buy a V8 due to changing times and dwindling demand. So my first V8 was a VR Clubsport. Insurance costs killed that after 2 years ($3000 to renew) so the VSII Statesman filled the bill as flying under the radar. Happy with that until the Billion Dollar Baby was born - the best Holden for years (IMO) and AFM sort of justified the fuel issue for the 6.0l V8, popularity soared and insurance companies weren't scared anymore (maybe because older people bought them?). The trouble with Commodores is, like most Holdens before them, they are cheap to maintain (compared to the imported 'Holdens' which wear out disc rotors, cam chains, and everything else mechanical as soon as warranty expires) and built to last - hence lower turnover. So now I have bought my truly last V8 - sports car performance that can double as a family car (especially the wagon) and it probably is a dinosaur relegated to those of us who remember the past (and probably sadly missed by fleets and Police etc). Current generations are more fascinated by electronics and gadgets (and the Commodore does have some) but few of them will be showing their mates what's under the hood or starting it up for them. So I am not going to have a go at you, everything has changed and will continue to do so - what would be the point of developing a self drive V8 for instance?

Marco_VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 Redline M6
I've noticed that the LMF Redline at my local dealer has now been there for a month or so now. Maybe demand for the V8 models isn't as high as expected? I'd have thought it would have sold fairly quickly.

Can any dealer insiders shed any light on how sales are going?

CyanPixie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline - Slipstream Blue
Long time lurker, first time poster. Been reading this thread for a long time and pulled the trigger on Saturday and put down the deposit for a Slipstream Blue Redline. I couldn't resist after my test drive and haven't stopped smiling since. I have been told by the dealership I will have it by the end of May - so in this financial year. Like most people on the forum, this has been a thrilling experience not only because it is a new car, but it is also my first V8!

Although I haven't been in Australia my whole life, I have loved Commodores since I laid eyes on a VN Clubsport. This was as a fresh eyed teenager when I came for my first visit to Australia. I have had a VT then a VX S-pack, but there has been a large gap from there. (The ex got her Kia bus and the VX was used as a trade-in and I was downgraded to an Astra.) My desire for another Commodore has never subsided. The community and passion for the car is infectious. I used to love driving past the Elizabeth plant while I lived in Adelaide to see what was in the yards. I loved going to the Clipsal 500 and cheering on the Holden Teams and jeering the Ford Teams and their supporters. All of those things which are becoming relics of yesteryear, but are happy memories which I will hold onto forever. I am so glad I will be getting one of the last great Ozzie muscle cars, which I have to agree is the best one yet!

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
IMG_2022.JPG
Alright people, the question was raised last week but didn't really get an answer, can someone in the know explain the stickers on the production stage decal?
Just got a photo of mine straight off the truck and like zero are keen to know what they all mean!!

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I've noticed that the LMF Redline at my local dealer has now been there for a month or so now. Maybe demand for the V8 models isn't as high as expected? I'd have thought it would have sold fairly quickly.

Can any dealer insiders shed any light on how sales are going?

is that a manual one at a Canberra dealer by any chance?

I had a look at it but wasn't keen on the colour or the price they are asking.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
View attachment 190680 Alright people, the question was raised last week but didn't really get an answer, can someone in the know explain the stickers on the production stage decal?
Just got a photo of mine straight off the truck and like zero are keen to know what they all mean!!
Quality control?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ye it's a quality control, but I think SuperCoach eluded to the coloured stickers indicating if it had passed the stages or needed to be re-worked n everything.
So would be good to know what it all means!

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
I've just had word that the uptake on director from Holden employees had not been as great as Holden were expecting, so some of that allocation is being re channelled into the dealer network. City Holden in adelaide have now got 2 extra directors

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I've just had word that the uptake on director from Holden employees had not been as great as Holden were expecting, so some of that allocation is being re channelled into the dealer network. City Holden in adelaide have now got 2 extra directors

That would be snapped up quite quickly you'd imagine, rarer than Motorsports ones.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have really liked reading this thread in the past few days, It appears that there are quite a few ‘old blokes’ out there who really love their Holdens, and I am one of them, who is disappointed, saddened and infuriated as to what has become.
Unlike all you lucky buggers, I am not buying a VF, as much as I would like to get a Redline, Calais V or Director, simply because it is the last of the line. But short of a very fat Lotto-Fairy landing in my garage, it is not going to happen. Money, age, and practicality all play a part of my decision.
From my HK 186S, LH Torana, HJ Wagon, HQ LS Monaro ...... etc, I always felt proud that I had something that was part of life in this Great Southern Land.
After 50 years of enjoying Holdens, I think that I have a couple of ‘lasts’, (plus the wife’s Territory), and I can’t consider swapping one or both for a VF. So, that’s it for me.
Goodbye Holden, like a girlfriend of the past, you have created memories, but it’s all over now.