Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Ute, Blocked Battery Breather causing big damage

SuperHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Ute
Hey Guys,

my VF broke down in the driveway the last week with what looked like a stuffed clutch switch. had to get it taken on a tilt tray to the dealer. thought it would be a quick job but this car must be cursed. its a June 17 build.

further investigation revealed:

Kinked breather in the battery box area.
Battery spewed acid underneath carpets causing damage to paint and carpets behind passenger seat so needed a re-paint and new carpets.
Battery to be replaced.
Corrosion in body harness so harness to be replaced.
Charge output on alternator to be checked (possible overcharging).

i personally haven't seen any of the damage it has caused but if i were you i'd be checking the breather for the battery in your ute. you dont want the headaches that this could cause down the track.

i obviously got the build where the guys couldnt give a ****.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Sorry to hear what happened to you. Didn't see this coming...Thanks for the head up, I shall check mine this weekend. I have an external Tyre Pressure Monitor plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, it shows tyre pressure, temperature and voltage which is over 14 volts when driving.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Had one of these where the battery sprayed acid everywhere. Massive headache as the body harness runs from the front of the car to the rear of the tray. All the modules in the rear had to be replaced as well as carpets and rear panel trim.

SuperHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Ute
Had one of these where the battery sprayed acid everywhere. Massive headache as the body harness runs from the front of the car to the rear of the tray. All the modules in the rear had to be replaced as well as carpets and rear panel trim.
You don’t work for Traralgon Holden do you?

If so that could be mine as it’s still in their workshop, looks like a massive PITA job.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Nope this was a while ago now.