Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink not working after jump start

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Didn't take that long on mine I'll assure you!

it does not take 30 mins, not even 5 mins because there is no capacitor or battery in the system so as soon as you pull the battery lead the entire system loses power within a few seconds and it is all reset.
normally people just say 5 or 10 mins to just be sure there is no residual power in the system but it is pretty much instant and once there is no power the is no mythical "timer" running for the reset to occur at 5,10 or 30 minutes.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
it does not take 30 mins, not even 5 mins because there is no capacitor or battery in the system so as soon as you pull the battery lead the entire system loses power within a few seconds and it is all reset.
normally people just say 5 or 10 mins to just be sure there is no residual power in the system but it is pretty much instant and once there is no power the is no mythical "timer" running for the reset to occur at 5,10 or 30 minutes.
Yeah, I’d think it’s just disconnect and reconnect but I just don't know how the circuits are actually designed. Super-capacitors have been around for a rather long time and they can store lots of juice... So it’s always safer to wait at least a little while... how much of a while really depends on the h/w design so it should be clearly states in the owners manual how one does a cold reboot :p but it isn’t :oops:

Wesley5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 CalaisV
Hey thanks a lot to everyone who suggested to disconnect the battery, especially “Mavericks choice” who replied to me.The guys at battery world Greensborough Elias and Hamish were absolute legends. Helpful all the way even though they knew no money was to be made, the battery was disconnected just for 10 minutes. The car is working fine now. Mylink, indicator sound and heated seats lights are functional and normal.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
nope... needs 30 mins for the reset

for the naysayers....
10 mins did NOT reset mine... still a black screen (and no HVAC or EDI either)
so I tried longer disconnection period ...20 mins. Nope.. just a blank screen still
so
I left it 30 mins.. and then it worked
.. normally

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
for the naysayers....
10 mins did NOT reset mine... still a black screen (and no HVAC or EDI either)
so I tried longer disconnection period ...20 mins. Nope.. just a blank screen still
so
I left it 30 mins.. and then it worked
.. normally
From what ive been lead to believe some amps can hold power for a while , i generally advise to press a few buttons ,stereo , start and other buttons to help dissipate any residual power in the system

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it is not really "naysaying" mate it is just how electrical systems work, it is a bit like you saying to reset your mobile phone you need to take the battery off for 30 minutes because without a battery it is still powered up at 20 minutes.

also i would be concerned if an amp was back feeding power into the vehicles electrical system because it should have diodes to prevent that but you never know these days with cheap chinese crap still if i observed that happening it would be going into the bin.

matthewt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline Ute
In case anyone digs up this thread looking for answers:
I had my rear tyres changed and the shop (I wasn't there at the time) must have disconnected the battery while they worked. When I picked up the ute (2016 SSV Redline) mylink wasn't starting at all. Once I got home I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery for 10 seconds and everything was fine after that. (had 10 seconds not worked I would have tried again for 30 mins)