Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nankangs ...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
where did i state they were a "good tyre"?

i said i couldnt fault them for the price, and this is true. they were cheap and i think they performed well for that amount of money. if i wasnt 17 at the time i probably would have been able to afford better tyres.

Lol - you are defending them with the clear perception they are good things. You say those who say they are rubbish have never run them - well in your world that may be the case but take it from one who has well over a million km of driving on good/bad/average tyres - they are crap! 1st hand experience. For the price, they are black, most of them are round and hold the wheels up off the ground. That is all. Their grip is woeful in either wet or dry condtions. Plenty of other tires in a similar category.

Reaper

Last edited:

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
I am not an expert but had Nankangs on the SSV when I got it and hated them.
Wet grip cornering not particularly good and under load when taking big sweeping bends at a reasonable speed they were all over the place.
Damn things lasted forever though so in the end I sold them to a ricer for drifting tyres.
If you are not pushing them they are OK for running around town and will last a long time but if you are a bit heavy footed or spend a lot of time on the open road spend some money and get something better.
Softer compound more grippy tyres won't last as long but they will keep you on the road when it counts.

Just my 2c worth, You can debate tyres all day and everyone will have different views.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Lol - you are defending them with the clear perception they are good things. You say those who say they are rubbish have never run them - well in your world that may be the case but take it from one who has well over a million km of driving on good/bad/average tyres - they are crap! 1st hand experience. For the price, they are black, most of them are round and hold the wheels up off the ground. That is all. Their grip is woeful in either wet or dry condtions. Plenty of other tires in a similar category.

Reaper

just curious, what tyres do you run reaper?

Edit: i dont know how your calling $180 a cheap tyre, i paid $210 for falken fk452's and i love em, wanted $370 each when i walked in.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
With tyres you get what you pay for. Cheap tyres often last ages but don't grip and are noisy.

There are far worse tyres than nankangs. Wanli, triangle, kingstar etc

I try to stick with the brands that have been around forever. Goodyear, bridgestone etc but you pay for it. Although you put slot of trust in them sticking, particularly if you drive your car hard.

There is a tredwear number on all tyres this gives an indication of how soft the compound is. From memory about 250 is a good balance of grip and life expectancy. (retailers often don't tell you about this or know anything about it I've found)

As has been discussed many times before. Check the load rating against your cars minimum before you buy. Commys are heavy and often cheap tyres have low load ratings.

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
yeah i have considered all of this about cheap tyres not being grippy before i posted the thread ... and although there is some good testimonials up here i think i will just suck it up and buy good ones ... anyone got any advice on a tyre that wont wear out as quick as toyos ... cause i have always bought toyo's ... but because they are so soft and i drive my car hard (understatement) they wear out quickly .... advice?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
just curious, what tyres do you run reaper?

Edit: i dont know how your calling $180 a cheap tyre, i paid $210 for falken fk452's and i love em, wanted $370 each when i walked in.

At the moment it's the factory Bridgestones. Grip is quite good but they have a short life and a very high price. Best value tire I have found over the last few years have been the Falkens. They are slightly less grippy than the Bridgestones but a heap cheaper and seem to last way longer.

Of course it's a trade off between grip and tire life in some respect. If money were no object, of course we'd be running around in some super soft semi slick tack tire that sticks like **** to a blanket but it's just not feasible.

Reaper

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
I find it weird that some people have found them to be really bad bcos the ones ive had have performed very well.
Like i said before, i put a set of 255 18's on my gtr & when in RWD mode it hooked up almost as well as in AWD when i launched it.
Also my rx7 was mainly used for runs through the adelaide hills & they seemed to handle the corners very well.
Also i might add though, that the tyres used on these cars were purchased like 2 years ago. So maybe the quality has gone downhill in more recent times??

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
I have used the ns11 ultra sport nankangs for the past 10 years and to me they are a great tyre,these tyres do grip well and last a long time,it sounds like alot of you out there drive your cars as if you were in a rally.If you drive your car in a responsible way these tyres are perfect.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I have used the ns11 ultra sport nankangs for the past 10 years and to me they are a great tyre,these tyres do grip well and last a long time,it sounds like alot of you out there drive your cars as if you were in a rally.If you drive your car in a responsible way these tyres are perfect.

Until you come to an emergency braking situation or need to swerve at speed to avoid an accident. This is where a half decent tyre means the difference between avoiding an accident and something much worse.

If you cant afford anything more than cheap nasty tyres then you cant afford to be driving a car.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Until you come to an emergency braking situation or need to swerve at speed to avoid an accident. This is where a half decent tyre means the difference between avoiding an accident and something much worse.

If you cant afford anything more than cheap nasty tyres then you cant afford to be driving a car.

while i agree with you about buying good tyres what u say is very harsh. new cheap tyres will still be better than bald used good ones. at least he is not one of those many retards driving around with no tread