Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nearly stalls when pulling up at the lights

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Can be a combination of things.. ive have similar problems.. once i started surging and i stalled all together doing 80 km/h sailing an almost 2 ton ute with no power steering is fun.

Fuel pump,EGR valve, Computer issue, IAC valve clogged, fuel pressure regulator, o2 sensors, dirty MAF sensor...

Have fun soughting this one out.. i almost pulled my hair out figuring this out on my ute..
Untill 1 day i read some where that crap acceleration down low (which i had badly)
is the cause of a dirty IAC valve.. sure enough the TB and the IAC valve where so carbined up im suprised anything got through.

I cleaned it up and sure enough its been a tottaly diffrent car... happy hunting

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I might add that the problem only happens when the engine is hot and I have cleaned the hell out of the throttle body lol

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
ok if its only doing it when hot then ... spark plugs , spark plug leads , coolant temp sensor to ecu , oxygen sensor , dirty air filter , fuel pressure regulator stuffed or damaged hose, Crank angle sensor on its way out , or more expensive the coil pack/dfi ...

you replaced IAC with a 2nd hand one that was clean and adjusted properly ?

do this ... take off positive battery lead for 5 mins then put back on and then start engine let idle for bit then rev car half throttle for 10 seconds to reset the IAC and the computer .. then go for a drive and see if it gets any better.

But it sounds like the coilpack/dfi is heating up and struggling to give a strong spark to the plugs so it's missing and wanting to nearly stall at lights but when accelerating is getting enough spark.

the alternator and coil pack/dfi can cause problems you have ...

I think you have to do an error code check ... or take it to someone ...

One thing I must mention is that my tensioner pulley arm spring is on its way out so when engine warms up the spring gets warm and I get a rattle noise and low funny idle when stopped at traffic lights so it might be that as well.

let us know how you go ..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I gunna go with the coolant temp sensor! I have a feeling it might be it because the thermo fan never kicks in however it works fine when I turn the air con on,
hopefully get that done by tomorrow night!

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
yeah sounds like the coolant temp sensor to the ECU

theres 2 coolant temp sensors ..the other goes to the cluster ... one goes to ECU which kicks the fan on when engine is around 1/2 to 3/4 hot ....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I changed the sensor yesterday, so far so good! I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so we shal see if the $20 sensor was worth my money