Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice on loud noise from i think pulleys or steering unit VP

MadJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.6 , VP 3.6, VT 3.6 wagon, VY S2 3.6 FF LPG
Hi

I get a noise when cars idling it has got a little worse at first I thought MmmmM leak in exaust,
I have checked steering fluid it was low i topped it up, the power steering unit seems to be a little noisy i put hand on it and theres a bit of vibration more than the pullys or gen/alt.

I have taken belt off started car seems fine one of the tapits or injectors ticks a bit but motor sounds fine.

I spin the all the wheels including AC no real noise,
The altanator/gen i hear a little like static brushy sound .

What should I be looking for on power steering unit, because it does vibrate a bit when hand on it.
if noise has come because oil was on low line once topped up do i need to drive 5 10 kms for the oil to get back around the unit.
pulleys and wheels for faults,
and some where i read on forum an old belt makes noises, peeps have replaced and noise gone.
Funny enough only started after i took to get a WOF took my VN a while back to same place for wof and a few days later have beering noise trouble in front left , had to replace wheel beerings, Murphy's law, mind u shes done a few ks 370k and still purring

any help would be great

Love my holdens

Jack

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
power steering is self bleeding, once topped up all you need to do is lock your steering left to right to send the fluid through the system.

id be checking for leaks, degrease and pressure wash under the car, drive for couple of days and have a look, see if you have any fresh leaks. steering racks and and pumps commonly fail, just have to figure out if one or both are due for replacement. after 370k it probably wont be far off...

as for the vibrations its kind of hard to tell what you mean, could be rotten engine mounts making the whole thing vibrate. whats a WOF?

MadJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.6 , VP 3.6, VT 3.6 wagon, VY S2 3.6 FF LPG
Its not my VN thats got the problems
Its My VP done 200k and has a noise like a clanking definite noisy rattle its not there when I take the belt off and have motor running .
I have spun all the pully's wheels and no noise, The steering unit wheel doesnt make any noise either the ac wheel doesnt

how do i find the harmonic balancer and how do i tell its stuff

Jack

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
how do i find the harmonic balancer and how do i tell its stuff

its the big pulley down the bottom, generally if the rubber is cracked peeling off its due for replacement