Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice on upgrade options

lemmstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.0 A6
So..... found out that my 2013 VF SS auto finally gave in - 5 lifters failed and destroyed aftermarket cam. 205,000km

I've been talking with a few people and from what I can see, have the following options:

Fix it up as is - new lifters, cam - $5,200. Probably won't last long and I'm thinking this option of I'm going to sell.

Forged rebuild - $14k, then 16. 5k for stroker 6.6 upgrade high comp.

Forged rebuild stroker with blower - 32k. Comp 10.5:1.

I should mention I really want a manual so I don't have to stuff around with stall convertors, and the guy fixing it up reckons you either stroke or blow (lol), not both as the stall convertor would be a waste.

Money not a huge issue and can afford any of these.

Any thoughts on what option makes sense? Honestly leaning towards fixing up, then selling and buying a manual. Wait until that one goes and then upgrade it. Interestednin opinions here.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Don’t know what he’s getting at with the stall converter issue when going blown and stroker? Fair to say it’d need upgrading along with the rest of the drivetrain with that kind of power, end of the day it’s up to you but if you’ve really got your heart set on a manual then go for that I reckon

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
could find a manual write off and do a swap.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A question about lifters failing and eating the cam ... is this all due to the DoD stuff?
Can the DoD stuff be removed, and then the "fix it" option might stay perma-fixed?

lemmstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.0 A6
A question about lifters failing and eating the cam ... is this all due to the DoD stuff?
Can the DoD stuff be removed, and then the "fix it" option might stay perma-fixed?
Extra lobe separation puts more strain on the lifters, so they fail. Thing I can't understand though is the builder said he put new ls7 lifters in it

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Extra lobe separation puts more strain on the lifters, so they fail. Thing I can't understand though is the builder said he put new ls7 lifters in it
What a load of nonsense
To prove it, did you have more or less lobe separation angle than stock? I'm betting less.
Also LS7 lifters are just stock gm ls3 lifters. Nothing special at all.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
lobe separation has to do with the intake and exhaust opening/closing points (overlap) and noting to do with lifters at all, duration and lift have to do with lifters and ramp rates is what can stress the valvetrain, LS7 lifters will last fine with most cams

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What a load of nonsense
To prove it, did you have more or less lobe separation angle than stock? I'm betting less.
Also LS7 lifters are just stock gm ls3 lifters. Nothing special at all.
The best quality lifters we've used in the Ecotec V6 race engines (same as LS lifters) are Johnson High RPM LS7 lifters. Stock ones tend to break the rollers and then chews the cam up of course. The Johnson lifters have been bullet proof so far!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The best quality lifters we've used in the Ecotec V6 race engines (same as LS lifters) are Johnson High RPM LS7 lifters. Stock ones tend to break the rollers and then chews the cam up of course. The Johnson lifters have been bullet proof so far!
That's what I have in mine