Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need amp help

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
any stereos will use more battery power, you can go a bit extra and get a good battery like an optima or something, capacitors are good too because they store power and draw from them and then slowly charge from the battery.
You need to research basic electrics a little bit... Caps charge and discharge FAST :)

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
You need to research basic electrics a little bit... Caps charge and discharge FAST :)

Which is of course the whole point.

What a lot of people seemingly fail to realise is that the amps have a bank of capacitors in the powersupply already, so the only time another capacitor is useful is when those are sized inadequately. As a result, the capacitor should be as close to the amp as possible, practically right on the power terminals, or it'll have no benificial effects, and all the detrimental effects the experienced car audio folk around here will tell you about. At the end of the day, stiffening up the rest of your power supply, with a good battery and alternator, will have far more benefit than a cap.

It's important to get good quality cable to wire it all up, but that doesn't mean it has to be expensive. Nearly all copper used in cables is over 99% pure anyway. Despite what the manufacturers will tell you, doping it with silver, titanium, beryllium, gold or any other precious or fancy sounding metal will make no difference to how it sounds. Neither will the insulation, despite the golden ears who will tell you that teflon makes it sound "thin" (or grainy, or harsh) and PVC "muddy" and that the best cable is hand crafted in cotton sleeves. It makes NO difference at all, and people invoking quantum physics, the skin effect or "science can't explain everything" are, at best, unscrupulous. See also Penny Arcade! - A Meditation On Value

thecommykid

thecommykid
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz berlina 3.6
cheers 2 every one who helped im gunna go 4 the alpine i wanted that one but i thought if theres gunna be no difference then why not save some money thanks heaps now all i need is if any one sees a good deal on the Alpine MRP-F600 let me know please cheers :thumbsup:

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim

so you are just proving my point, when you drain power from the battery at a fast rate, the alternator just cant recharge it fast enough. Aftermarket stereos drain massive amount more than what the original electrical system is designed for. Caps charge from the battery fast and yes they drain fast with high output amps, but then they recharge quickly again and so on. I had an optima yellow with 750cca with 2 x 1 farad caps and i did notice the quality increase after i had them put in.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I wasn't arguing with you, just hoping you'd give the correct info next time. Seems to be a common problem on this forum.

Also, the cap is charged by the alternator when the car is running. It's supposed to help stabilse the voltage around the alternator voltage, not the battery voltage. If your electrical system is at the battery voltage with the car running, you have problems.