Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need another battery?

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
hey,
i just installed a 10" fusion sub, monoblock amp, ad 2ch amp to my vs ute. After i installed it all i needed to start it off a battery pack, thought it was a bit odd but no biggy. So i started it, and left it running while i played around with the settings on the amp, (while doing this i was also playing with the throttle) i stuffed around with the settings for about 10-15 minutes. then switched off the ignition then immediately tried to wind it over again... and i got nothing, didnt even click.
My battery is less than 2 months old, and my system isn't very big, surely i dont need a 2nd battery?

I'm pretty happy of the way it sounds, while im in the car.. with the doors closed and windows up. but if im standing outside the car it sounds fairly crap, everything is vibrating (ill try to fix this tomorrow) and the sub sounds a lot less bassy than it does when im in the car...(i don't mean volume, the tone sounds higher)

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
unless you know what time the elctrlytic solution was poured into your battery when it was manafactured you have no way of knowing how brand new it is. It could have been sitting on a shelf for 18 months with the solution slowly corroding the plates, therfore making it a brand new üsed"battery. Do a load test and check your alternaters ouput voltage.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Your battery should barely even be getting used for the stereo while the car is running.

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
how loud was it pumping when you were playing with the settings? With my car started, it'll struggle to turn on the next time if you don't left the system recharge. In other words don't turn the car off right away after giving your system beating

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
sounds about right
when i did my install had the same problem
i put a battery charger on while doing the levels
with the motor off
re-charged her up in about 2 1/2 hours
oh and upgraded to a 120amp alternator :thumbsup:

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
What you really need is a soft start circuit to put a delay on the amp, so the car can crank before the amp starts drawing power. No idea if anyone sells one prebuilt for 12V supplies, but there's plenty of designs out there on the net.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
That does not sound about right... He had the car running, it shouldn't nearly kill the battery if the car is running.

I've had 2800Wrms worth of amps running while my car was idle with stock alternator and it has been fine to turn off and on with no probs starting. Something is wrong in his electrical system.

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
hmm k thanks, well one of the amps is around 1000wrms and the otherone is 200wrms
but the sub only draws 150rms and the speakers 60rms

how loud was it pumping when you were playing with the settings?
Most of the time it was above 75% volume.

Turning the system off before shutting the engine down is kind of unpractical, because this should also mean that i couldnt run my system with the engine off.. which i would like to be able to do.

EDIT: Just had a thought, because my battery was flat, then i hooked it up to a starter pack to start it, then disconnected the starter pack then turned on the stereo, the battery would have had only a few moments on idle for the amp to start charging the battery back up, so my battery was probably still nearly flat, then i went and started up the system, which would have taken most of the power the amp was generating? So the battery couldnt have started getting recharged?
Could this be it?
After school i will start the car up with the stereo off and leave it for a while to charge the battery up before starting up the stereo.

How long should it take to charge up the battery at idle?
Once the battery is fully charged, and i turn off the car, how long should i be able to play the stereo for, and still be able to crank the car over?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It will charge much better driving... You might be better off putting the battery on a charger if you can't drive the car.

Let us know the AH (amp per hour) rating of your battery and we can estimate how long it would run your system for. It won't be very accurate though as the stereo doesn't draw a constant amount of current, it varies with the music.

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
alright thanks,
if i had a switch on the power cable running from the amps, and i was running the stereo with the engine turned off, would the car be more likely to start with the amps turned off, then turned on once the engine is started?