Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help! Loud Knocking Front End - Video Included.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove the belt and start the car if noise goes away then test your bearing and water pump, spin them by hand.

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Remove the belt and start the car if noise goes away then test your bearing and water pump, spin them by hand.

Hi. Thank you for reply.

I'm starting to suspect water pump as it looks like a slow leak out front of that location for a long time, and my coolant reservoir tank would always go dry even after filling it up. although i never had any cooling issues.

Ill test that and report back.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I couldn't get your video to play but have a good look at your harmonic balancer. If the rubber insulator section of that has failed it makes a hell of a knock

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You've had a look for intake and exhaust leaks? I don't think it's bearings or the water pump as it goes away when you rev the engine.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I couldn't get your video to play but have a good look at your harmonic balancer. If the rubber insulator section of that has failed it makes a hell of a knock
Video wasn't really a good one anyway wasn't longer enough and didn't move the phone closer enough, if the op got in there and moved it around it might of pin pointed the sound better.

You've had a look for intake and exhaust leaks? I don't think it's bearings or the water pump as it goes away when you rev the engine.
Noise doesn't go away, its a hollow tap / knock like water pump.

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP

Cannot see any visible damage on the harmonic balancer.

Ill check it out mate but exhaust system isn't that old got it don't about 2 years ago.

Video wasn't really a good one anyway wasn't longer enough and didn't move the phone closer enough, if the op got in there and moved it around it might of pin pointed the sound better.

My apologies. I wasn't planning to upload that vid was just to show how it sounded to a friend. I'll get some proper footage for you all when i replace the water pump on the weekend.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Cannot see any visible damage on the harmonic balancer.

Ill check it out mate but exhaust system isn't that old got it don't about 2 years ago.

My apologies. I wasn't planning to upload that vid was just to show how it sounded to a friend. I'll get some proper footage for you all when i replace the water pump on the weekend.
It might not be the water pump but if its leaking I be doing it anyway.

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
It might not be the water pump but if its leaking I be doing it anyway.

Hey mate. i removed the belt today and the sound went away completely. however, i forgot to do the spin test.
Still waiting for the Water Pump to be delivered.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well that's good news you now no its not internal, sounds like the pump mine did that, the noise will be the fins on the pump hitting the wall in the housing, its only a guess it called be the alternator or even the bearing on the A/C. compressor pulley.