Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help please? Possibly broken key way on crank!!???!!??!?!?

VR.Ute.LovIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 Holden VR Commodore Ute
Gidday peepz, thanks for checking into my post

Just like bro know if anyone has an answer to my crank issue as it seems like everywhere I read within the vehicle repair manuals that have the LEO 3.6 litre Alloytec Engine fitted to it and in the manuals they all state a key way for the crank yet mine seems to me that maybe it had a key way once upon a time and somewhere along the way it has failed and looks to have been cut out? I am unsure as to how to fit the balancer back on the crank as even it has no key way whatsoever and so I don’t know if it is going to be an issue for the engine with regard to testing and diagnosing timing and tune up in future as I won’t be able to throw on a timing light in future given the balancer wouldn’t be in it’s precise location with relation to crank position when mounted??
Can anyone please confirm this is a broken keyway and is anyone able to share with me any info about this and or what I should do and procedures to follow to mount the balancer to the crank correctly? Much appreciate your help in advance
Thank you
I have attached pictures for better understanding of this concern I have

2nd issue is that I am stuck unable to release the fuel line connector with the disconnect tool I have that is a four way style tool also in pictures, my tool is too big and I don’t have access at the moment to the disconnect tool that I need and I was hoping someone might be able to share with Me any other way I may be able to safely disconnect the fuel line so I can remove the rail and keep going with the work I have cut out for me as it is so any possible way I can do this would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks again in advance for any input and hope to expand my knowledge on this vehicle as I have bought it recently very cheaply through a friend and I am doing some very in-depth maintenance work that was neglected for a long time and I would like this car to be reliable for me so I am doing as much work to it that I can think should be done and if you have any input on this too I’d also like to hear your thoughts on what I should take care of while here as well

Cheers

Nathan

Attachments

• IMG_6707.jpeg
    IMG_6707.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6702.jpeg
    IMG_6702.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 65

VR.Ute.LovIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is a couple more pictures for

Attachments

• IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6703.jpeg
    IMG_6703.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6702.jpeg
    IMG_6702.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 59

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
That’s just the boss at the end of the crank. See attached the special tool needed to turn the crank when doing chains.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 61

VR.Ute.LovIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s just the boss at the end of the crank. See attached the special tool needed to turn the crank when doing chains.
Ahh thanks Grimes, I was not too sure about it mate and considering there is a perfectly rounded edge to it there I thought that it was either something like a break or something I was skipping past on the manuals lol
Well I certainly appreciate the help on that one mate.
And so does it matter how the balancer is reattached as in a certain point on the pulley to line up with another point on the crank? Or just attach it and torque it down to spec?

Thanks again mate

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
The balancer just gets pressed on in any orientation because there’s no keyway. They’re a tight fit on the boss though.

VR.Ute.LovIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
The balancer just gets pressed on in any orientation because there’s no keyway. They’re a tight fit on the boss though.
Ahh too easy bro, yeah thanks for letting me know. Always good to get a second opinion on things mate and while I thought one thing, I’d hate to have had it wrong so cheers for the help

I have just pulled the valve covers and she is fairly bad with carbon build up and it is like scraping gravel so with that said mate how far would I need to go diving into things to get this all cleaned up and minimise the chances of it returning?
Cheers mate

Nathan

VR.Ute.LovIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ll take a few pictures and send it through as soon as I can mate just to see where I am upto with things incase my opinion of bad is not as bad as yours or maybe the other way round lol
I think any point carbon deposits are falling into engine in chunks of any sort is bad for any engine and this one is definitely pretty excessive
The PCV on Bank 2 looks to be a different one then I’d have expected to see and I was told it was rebuilt however not sure how long ago that was and also the pcv on bank 2 was nearly completely blocked up and I have scraped it out and cleaned that one and will go and start cleaning out the valve cover now and then pull off the timing cover and get stuck into there as well mate

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just clean up what you can and refill with a good quality oil. I shortened the service interval to 10,000km on my VE when it got to 220,000km to help prevent this sort of thing. Unblocking the PCV will also help.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Do the PCV mod.

Clean the PCV lines out.

Release the fuel pressure via the Schrader valve which is in the picture with the plastic cap on. Then the fuel connection will release.