Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help , rb30det in a vr berlina or in a r32 gts4?

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
^ really? Eat skyline's at the local track in a V6 commodore?

Not in a standard one no…. But a blown or turbocharged V6 yeh its possible

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
Throw that engine in the skyline then sell the skyline keep the berlina and rebuild the 3.8ltr then put a pro flow turbo kit on it or a vortex blower… Then go eat some skylines down at your local track :spot on: not a fan of skylines (except GTRs) although some can be nice but id much prefer a blown or turbo charged V6 commodore then a skyline anyday… Just my opinion.

thanks for the opinion but i agree with sweefu , no way a commo could keep up with 4wd skyline on the track it would have enough trouble against 2wd ,drags are a different story but im not planning on tubs ,slicks or rebuilding another motor

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
what have you dont to the engine, what sort of cost, and what sort of power are we talking about?

at a glance the motors cost me 8ish and will cost another 8 or so to stroke
mods r basic , arp studs through out , cometic gaskets ,balanced rotating gear , cams , 750cc injectors fed by 044(upgrading to 1000cc and 2x044) gt3582r , upgraded coolers and manifolds

can handle between 300kw and 350

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah 8k... i was wondering if it'd be worth it to just turf and start over. but not 8k, youve past the point of no return.

well then id say go ahead and stick in in the 32. ive had dozens of 32's in the past and they are such a fantastic car. must say ive never had one with a 30. you thinking of sticking the 25 head on it? from what i understand, the ATTESA systems are not really the same in these as they are in the GTR's. they are built to handle a turbo 2.0, not a beefy 3.0 so you may need to baby the running gear a bit.

look i gotta be honest and say that i would still look around for a rust free 4 door skyline and turn it into a dedicated track car. you can pick up those 30's for about 500 bucks, strip it out, cage it, etc etc.

i dunno, i think its just a bit of a waste in a GTS4, as much as you try itll never be a GTR, and a VR... are you kidding? no fking way.

/my 2c

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
thanks for the opinion but i agree with sweefu , no way a commo could keep up with 4wd skyline on the track it would have enough trouble against 2wd ,drags are a different story but im not planning on tubs ,slicks or rebuilding another motor

I was talking about the drags not a race track.. My mistake i should of said drags not track. Just saying my opinion that id much prefer a turbo charged V6 commodore then a Skyline for a daily driven car and regular track use because a supercharged or turbocharged V6 would have a good chance against a skyline AWD or not.. At the end of the day its what you want out of your car and how you wanna drive it etc :spot on:

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
yeah 8k... i was wondering if it'd be worth it to just turf and start over. but not 8k, youve past the point of no return.

well then id say go ahead and stick in in the 32. ive had dozens of 32's in the past and they are such a fantastic car. must say ive never had one with a 30. you thinking of sticking the 25 head on it? from what i understand, the ATTESA systems are not really the same in these as they are in the GTR's. they are built to handle a turbo 2.0, not a beefy 3.0 so you may need to baby the running gear a bit.

look i gotta be honest and say that i would still look around for a rust free 4 door skyline and turn it into a dedicated track car. you can pick up those 30's for about 500 bucks, strip it out, cage it, etc etc.

i dunno, i think its just a bit of a waste in a GTS4, as much as you try itll never be a GTR, and a VR... are you kidding? no fking way.

/my 2c

cheers im thinkin 32 atm as for the drive train most things are the same exept diff gears gtr run 4.11s and gts4s run 4.375s ,rear diff hemesphere is different thats about it ,before you say what about the gearbox , mines been liftd from a 32 gtr along with tail shaft so things should be up for it .

dont want a dedicated race car if i did it would be a 2 door as 4 door skylines make me sick a little bit ,sorry just my preference

and it is just a gts4 , that people will think is just a gtst or worse , i like being under estimated ,same applys for the vr

thanks for your input though its very appreciated

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
and already has twincam head hence rb30Det

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate, sounds like a bit of a monster to me ;) go right on ahead and fit that ****! id really like to see a build thread in the "my ride/misc" section if you dont mind. im a huge fan of 32's and have been since bathurst 91'

so you promise you wont fit a GTR spoiler and pump the rear 1/4's? i hate douches that do that.

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
mate, sounds like a bit of a monster to me ;) go right on ahead and fit that ****! id really like to see a build thread in the "my ride/misc" section if you dont mind. im a huge fan of 32's and have been since bathurst 91'

so you promise you wont fit a GTR spoiler and pump the rear 1/4's? i hate douches that do that.

thanks ,iv got a few mates with stock 32 gtrs that cant keep up with it atm but the rb20 has a few bits done to it plus tein coilovers and strut braces help ps 4wd is both fun and scary.

car has no spoiler and is staying that way,im sheaving the boot lock though as for the guards ,im tucking 265s on 18s with no problem so theres no need to modify although the car does have gtr headlights ,front bumper , grill and bonnet , it came that way and thought it looks alright , mates say u can tell its not a gtr even at a glance which makes me smile