Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP with leaving school! advice please!

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
stay in school. respect your body respect your parents dont do drugs

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Mate I know EXACTLY how you feel, im in the exact same boat here. I'd be gone however my chosen career requires year 12, thats my only motivation. As already said though it will make things alot easer if you get year 12, easier to get any job, even if its only a trade or something not requiring year 12, put yourself in an employers shoes, you get two applications, one has y12, one doesnt, which one would you hire?
If you want to do something like that, do an ASBA as a mechanic, panel beater, whatever you like.
Good luck man.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
As a person who has employed hundreds of people over the years and about 20 at the minute - GET YOUR YEAR 12!!!!

I whole heartedly support the idea of doing what you love as a vocation. You spend way too much of your life at work not to enjoy it (at least most of the time). The thing is that getting your HSC (or whatever it's called in your state) opens **sooooo** many doors it's not funny. Not to say you can't get what you want without it however the effort will repay itself in spades when you get to the end.

Reaper

+1 on what Reaper has said.

If you leave school now, you are putting all your eggs in one basket and it your plans don't work out, you are up you know what creek without a paddle.

You say you enjoy working on cars and potentially want to be a mechanic. What happens if you discover that you ONLY anjoy work on cars as a hobby and when you are forced to do it for your bread money you get sick of it and lose your passion for it?

If you're half way through year 11, stick with it for the rest of the way and then you will have more options available to you when you come out on theother side.

Finally, if you think assignment and high school are hard.... the DAMN are you in for a shock in the real world if you have plan on chasing a career rather that sitting in the same job for the rest of your life.

At school you've got someone pushing you to do the hard work, when you're in a job, no one gives as **** if you make progress or not. You just get fired and you have to motivate yourself to do the hard work.

If just seems to me that you are not looking to leave school because it's not something needed for your chosen career, you want to leave becasue you just can't be bothered. Not going to get far in life with that mindset unless you win Tattslotto mate.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
School is piss easy compared to the 'real world'.

I was going to drop out in Year 11 as well to become a mechanic. I went to a private school as well. My parents threatened to beat the living **** out of me for wasting cash on private schools if I dropped out. Fair enough, I would have been a bit pissed as well.

Get your HSC, its something you can fall back on. It does open a lot of doors now for someone looking to start their career. It was a bit different when I was finishing Year 12 in 1997, as trades did not require the HSC. They do now, or its preferred. Hell, even for the field assistants that we employ we look for a Yr12 equivalent.

So in the end, I stayed at school. I didn't do that well with a TER of 64, but it just got me into uni and from there everything went up.

Had I stuck to my original plan and dropped out, I would have been a mechanic, covered in grease every day, earning **** money and having a whinge about my life.

You say you are a fast learner - why not put that to good use and aim a little higher?

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
And what do you think about this School Based Apprenticeship?
Means I finish the HSC at school only doing like 3 subjects, get an ATAR (the new 'UAI')
Work part time as an apprentice, with pay....

What could go wrong? :)

My sister did that in year 11, ended up failing all her subjects and then dropping out of the apprenticeship anyway - too much of a work load for her

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Caprice / VY Storm
private school, they don't let us drive to school!

What? they cant tell you what to do man, park around the block and walk the last minute or so.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
If you are planning on leaving school i would make sur eyou haev some sort of full time job. Also look into TAFE course's you could do part time/fulltime

Even though everyone says do year 12 i do not see the benifit depending on your path you choose. to back up what im saying here is my story

i dropped out half way through year 10 that means i only have a year 9 pass. i too hated school. i got a job in local supermarket filling shelves. while working full time i also did some tafe courses part time in management related courses.

i work as a manager in various departments in the supermarket then moved into the auto industry working in spare parts. i then moved into the communication industry where im currently employed as a general manager of a company that turns overmore than $3million per year. i have 8 staff emplotes fulltime plus contractors etc.

to cut a long story short school is not for everyone and as long as you keep working hard and keep aiming for the top you can get there. yes it was hard work but the life experience i have gained from not being at school was more than anything you can be given by reading a book and doing a exam.

When im employing staff i dont judge a person by if they have year 12 or not. i have found that most the people i employ that are young that dont have year 12 have worked harder than those with year 12.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I hated school, just like you. Didn't study, mucked around, skipped school. But I hung in there to finish highschool. I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I done TEE (units for UNI) in year 11, then decided I wanted to become a Electrician - dropped TEE in yr12, asked workexperience chick and got to have 2weeks work experience with some Electricians - went out there, thinking sweet.... till I saw all the crappy work involved & the heat. Decided I didn't wanna be an electrician nymore lol. So did normal units for yr12, completed highschool then did a 6month bridging course and went to uni - now studying Accounting & Finance (6units a yr external) and working fulltime as reception at a law firm. Still recon studying sucks.. but managing to get through it. Will I was in highschool I worked casual at IGA. When you get out in the workforce, you don't see much of your mates back from school.

I think highschool was great. well only the fact you hung around your mates all day & checking out hotties. Now I'm stuck working in a office will old people! Only oldies to talk to, so I sit on Facebook & JustCommodores.

Although, if you have a secured job - my mate dropped out, finished year10 and is now a qualified electrician. He had a 2yr head start, so he's laughing. Only problem with that is, if you get tired of that job your in a pickle because you have no other qualification and haven't finished highschool.

I recon stick with finishing high school like many others have said. It's not as bad as you think it is. Get a afterschool job to earn some cash and you'll be fine.

Edit: Another reason I stayed is cause I had a young hot German Teacher, which I was good friends with. Nd in my science class had this older guy, his son places cricket and we (immature as we were) kept asking if he bats with his son lol. Ahhh good times. He didn't have a clue what was going on.

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
MATE! I have just finished year 12 (last year) and trust me... i was the same as you (i think just about everyone was) but listen to the advice on the thread! School is one big ****ing holiday! So stay and make the most of it! cause you CANNOT return... You have your WHOLE LIFE to work... JUST STAY and make the most of it trust me lol...