Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need more power, CHEAP

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i got one too... the secret is to run oil lines to it so you dont kill the bearings

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I will doubt you can get 20 or so rwkw out of HRR on a stock ls1 until I see proof :p

I'm going off MACE which says 16-26kw for 1.98's on an Ecotec, but you get what I meant

Robb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Well on a stock emotec with the 1.98:1 rockers I'd say the gains would be more around low-mid teens. But keep in mind the stock ratio on these engines is like 1.6:1 (correct me if I'm wrong just going off memory here) so the gains will be larger. On the ls1 the stock ratio is at an already higher 1.7:1 so the gains of higher ratio rockers will not be as large. I think most people get 10 or so rwkw with their 1.8:1's on the ls1.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i had hrr's on my ol ecotec from mace and they didnt do sh!t....same as their TB's! biggest waste of coin ever...i may aswell of gone and paid a hooker full price for the works but to only walk out with only getting a cuddle in return

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Well on a stock emotec with the 1.98:1 rockers I'd say the gains would be more around low-mid teens. But keep in mind the stock ratio on these engines is like 1.6:1 (correct me if I'm wrong just going off memory here) so the gains will be larger. On the ls1 the stock ratio is at an already higher 1.7:1 so the gains of higher ratio rockers will not be as large. I think most people get 10 or so rwkw with their 1.8:1's on the ls1.

again, lets go off fact here: if you install a long duration, high lift camshaft, while keeping the original compression ratio, all you can expect to do is move your power range slightly up your dyno curve, which mean sacrificing low end torque for RPM. itll be a nice boost in fuel consumption and thats about it.

the same goes for those rollers, they move the powerband slightly further up the rpm range, sacrificing low end power. just because they provide silly lift, doesnt mean you will make diddly squat extra torque, in fact you probably wont make any extra, itll just mean it revs a little bit higher, so you can see some fancy HP gains on a nice fabricated dyno graph. and we all know the V6 kiddies LOVE to see lots of horsepower on their dyno graphs.

so yeah, if you wanna rev to 6000 rpm, then they are great. if you wanna keep your engines power band where you use it most (1800-3500) then dont.

Robb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
No need to argue with me I was the one saying you cannot make 20rwkw with on a stock ls1 and you cannot make 16-26rwkw on a stock ecotec with hrr

I will doubt you can get 20 or so rwkw out of HRR on a stock ls1 until I see proof :p
This was my post that started all of this lol...

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I personally recommend a rebuild kit. No doubt over the years the inside of the engine looks a little dodgy.

The main thing you need to remember is there is no cheap power upgrade. If there was everyone would know about it and you wouldn't need to ask.

With the rebuild kit make sure you get a decent kit. Don't look around and buy the cheapest nastiest one you can find. It wont last, might even be worth getting a stroker kit.
Service/rebuild the gearbox since most people neglect those.
Supercharger/Turbochargers tend to give good performance increases but strain the engine alot more, personally I wouldn't put on in your car without doing a rebuild first.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
I personally recommend a rebuild kit. No doubt over the years the inside of the engine looks a little dodgy.

The main thing you need to remember is there is no cheap power upgrade. If there was everyone would know about it and you wouldn't need to ask.

With the rebuild kit make sure you get a decent kit. Don't look around and buy the cheapest nastiest one you can find. It wont last, might even be worth getting a stroker kit.
Service/rebuild the gearbox since most people neglect those.
Supercharger/Turbochargers tend to give good performance increases but strain the engine alot more, personally I wouldn't put on in your car without doing a rebuild first.
i do believe this was the OP's first comment/post....
"I have a vx 5.7 wagon and was wondering if any one could give me avdvise on how to gain more HP cheap"
what youve suggested is not cheap

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Yes its not cheap, but neither is it expensive except for the last couple, but what needs to be taken in account is:
What he calls cheap.
What actually works.

A decent service could be called cheap, though you wont gain much. What we really need is what his budget is.

But that said a rebuild kit is still reasonably cheap, especially when you taken into account the difference you will feel on an engine that old.

And I will once again point out. There is no cheap upgrades for large amounts of horsepower/torque.

cracker

Reaction score
mafless tune would be a start. good gain for $650 odd