Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some advice please..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
50k changeover is highway robbery

If you can afford it without trade in...get it..

If not... keep the Calais

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
50k changeover is highway robbery

If you can afford it without trade in...get it..

If not... keep the Calais

Sticker price on clubby is $92k driveaway which I thought fairly reasonable given some of the astronomical prices getting around.

$42k trade on the Calais seems fair?..

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Stupid price for what is an enhanced commodore. Dealers have numerous HSVs they cannot move. Now an obsolete model.

Keep the Calais and pay off your mortgage .

GUZZLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ssv redline ute
I guess a question i use to justify such pur hases is, is it really going to be $50k better than the calais? It's why I bought a ssv VF2 ute instead of a maloo. But I understand how the ego can get in the way of rationale.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I guess a question i use to justify such pur hases is, is it really going to be $50k better than the calais? It's why I bought a ssv VF2 ute instead of a maloo. But I understand how the ego can get in the way of rationale.

another option would be , keep the Calais , and get some HSV enhancements , put on it , and I'm guessing that as soon as you drive out of the dealer with the GTS Club Sport it'll be worth as much as the Calais anyway , Club Sport or not .

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
If you can afford it, get the car you want.
Putting money on the mortgage, like others have said, is the 'sensible' thing to do but everyone would own a Toyota Camry if buying a car was solely based on making a sensible choice.
You're obviously a car enthusiast, and like HSV's, so whether or not it's worth it is totally up to you. As you said, no more are being made and if a new one is something you've always wanted..........last chance mate.
42 k is a good trade considering dealers are selling them for about that price. So that seems pretty fair. So really you're starting with a clean slate.
I haven't driven an R8, but I'm sure they drive and feel completely different than a Calais. They look different enough too. So really the only real decision to make is whether you want to spend 92k on a car.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
My advice:
25K -> offset account
5K - > tools and tuning tools
20K -> (DIY) OTR , full exhaust , supercharger, bla, bla , bla until the money is over
Result = mortgage paid earlier + Most of the HSV behind you

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Hey everyone,

A few months ago I posted about having put down a deposit for an R8 tourer..for a few reasons out of my control I didn't end up taking delivery of it..

As it turns out, my wife and I spoke today and she has agreed to the purchase again..

The dilemma I have is this: is it worth trading my near new Calais-V LS3 wagon on a tourer? The Calais is owned outright and the car I'm looking at will probably be ~$50k changeover.

The other point to consider is that a GTS-R is on the table as well..

Any advice either way would be appreciated:)

Hey Bud.. One thing ive learned after buying alot of new cars, and updating before owning it, is you really need to keep a car atleast 5 years to get back what youve spent. You owning the car is a bonus though.

If it was me id spend some coin on the Calais v, suspension ,mags, mabe a supercharger too

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Save coin for a Camaro and enjoy Calais

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Thanks everyone for some great points and advice. I'm not into modifying cars, that's why I am considering the HSV. I really prefer to leave them stock, just a personal thing.

You're all right about putting money into the mortgage, that is the smart thing to do, but ever since I was a boy, I've always wanted a brand new HSV, and now is the last chance I'll have...not interested in the Colorado thing or whatever else non-commodore they churn out. The sums work out, so I just need to work out which way I'll go.

Thanks again :)