Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some expert advice on modding my VR (= I'm cash strapped! =)

mosh511

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Vr Acclaim
Hey guys,

All I've ever owned is commy's and I've never really modded anything and was looking for some pointers on where to start with the VR I just got. What are my best options to start with considering I don't have that much spare cash but still want some bang for my buck? I'm just about to put a manual in next week (auto's aren't my thing) which will be awesome and I'll be chasing down an LSD asap and possibly a bigger throttle body but apart from that I'm clueless!

vpVacotioner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP s2 3.8
try getting a memcal tune for around 100 bucks few fellas on here do them and from what i heard its money well spent.

227shanno

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 5.7
like the other guys said, a memcal, a catback exhaust and try a cold air intake with a pod filter. then just lower it and you have a awesom cruising car

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
hey mate just heads up dont bother with the larger throttle boddies on a V6 it will give you no power gain what so ever i tested betwen the two when my car was on the dyno

mosh511

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Vr Acclaim
Thanks for the tips guys and I just put some lowered springs in it looks sweet!

t-rav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
imo bigger tb gives you better acceleration respose and better takeoff when you boot it at about 60km/h but at the same time it roots your first gear shift lol , tought decision wether or not too take it off now..

the V6 dosent suck enough air to benifit from a larger throttle body ,

its like having a drink through a 5mm straw the drink will be easy and fast to reach your mouth, try sucking the drink through a, say 13mm straw and it wil be much harder to suck and then finally youll get more drink but all at once ..

hence the ****ing of the auto trans :thumbsup: and the poor throttle responce

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
on the v6 it will cause manifold lag...

its like having a drink through a 5mm straw the drink will be easy and fast to reach your mouth, try sucking the drink through a, say 13mm straw and it wil be much harder to suck and then finally youll get more drink but all at once ..

hence the ****ing of the auto trans :thumbsup: and the poor throttle responce

u cant compare water to air.. gravity to mention 1 factor for starters.. dude ur theory blows! sorry but yea.

Dropping on a larger throttlebody affects the autos shift points, due to the throttle not having to be open as must compared to the stock throt, hence the TPS isnt setting a flag for the auto to change gears. u need to have it tuned/adjusted to suit a larger throttlebody.

imo bigger tb gives you better acceleration respose and better takeoff when you boot it at about 60km/h but at the same time it roots your first gear shift lol , tought decision wether or not too take it off now..

actually throttle response is the same ppl say its better but its all a placebo effect, only coz u dont have to push the pedal down as far to reach the same speed as the stock unit.

from memory, I dont believe the VR suffers from the same horrid shift changes due to throttle change. there is no gain going larger throt, the engine can only suck as much air as it needs, unless its worked like a mofo and its a restriction.