Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need to disable the steering lock to move my project VX SS

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Alright guys in a bit of a pickle, my VX SS has no key barrel, and I need to disable the steering lock so that it can be moved, any help would be good :)

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Easiest would be is buy a new barrel for it, pretty cheap to buy. You can push the lock down with a screw driver, but will lock again when turned. Otherwise you will destroy the locking system removing it with a angle grinder due to tamper proof bolts. I guess you could force some paper or something to keep the lock pressed down, but then you could cause a bigger headache if gets caught up inside.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
remove the snap bolts and the lock will come away from the steering coloum or you use a screw driver to hold the locking pin down .

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
hammer and punch will remove snap bolts not an angle grinder . a dremmel tool could be used to cut slots into the snap bolts and then a screw driver to turn the bolts out.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
hammer and punch will remove snap bolts not an angle grinder . a dremmel tool could be used to cut slots into the snap bolts and then a screw driver to turn the bolts out.

Ill remember that idea if i ever require it. Just going by what I've read in the past people using grinders to cut it all apart. But if the car is a project build id just get a new barrel rather than destroy more.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep centre punch & hammer to undo snaplocks does least amount of damage.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As Edals said, just put another barrel in it.

There's no bolts to remove.... the entire alloy housing that holds the barrel, clockspring and stalks is part of the steering column, there's no way to remove it without destroying the steering column.

slock_zpswcb1pojh.jpg

Last edited: