Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neons in boot what amps they use

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Hey guys just picked up some neons from repco 20cm long gonna put them in the boot around the subs

My ???? is can i use the wire that comes from the deck that turns the amps on as my power supply for the neons or will that overload the HU to much

Cheers for the help dave

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
m pretty sure you cant use the amps remote turn on wire to run neons. I'd run them off the original boot light - so when you open the boot, they turn on. No point thme being on when the boot is closed!

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
my plan was to have them on when the stereo is on and fold the centre seat forward so they shine on the subs and look :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Oh, ok. Maybe you can run them off the remote wire, but i think it just provides a pulse, like a signal, to turn on the amp. I'm sure someone more knowlegable will help!

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
O.k Cool i just went out a checked the remote wire and it stays lit all the time the stereo is on so maybe that will be o.k

Still not to sure if i should just hook them up and see what happens:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

dont want to blow the HU TOO $$$$$$$ for that

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The remote wire should only be used to run up to 300mA or so. If you need to run extra items like fans and neons, you should use a relay. Remote wire turns the relay on and steal power from your amp's terminal.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
so i cant use the amp remote wire to trigger the relay..... Cause it will pull to much power

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
BOGANV8 said:
so i cant use the amp remote wire to trigger the relay..... Cause it will pull to much power

no, you CAN use the amp remote to trigger the relay. connecting neons directly to the remote wire will draw too much power. a relay is basically just a switch that turns on when you pass a current through one of it's terminals (make sure you get the right one). a small amount of current is required to turn the relay on. then connect the main input for the relay to the power input for your amp.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
dephilile said:
no, you CAN use the amp remote to trigger the relay. connecting neons directly to the remote wire will draw too much power. a relay is basically just a switch that turns on when you pass a current through one of it's terminals (make sure you get the right one). a small amount of current is required to turn the relay on. then connect the main input for the relay to the power input for your amp.

Coolies will prob do it tomoz and hopefully see how it goes hopefully it will look the goods when its done :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Just use the remote wire to trigger the relay and the relay output to turn amps and everything else on.