Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New camera time, at last!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Ok photography buffs!

I need some opinions on my first digital slr camera purchase. I've had a look at some and i'm after a good solid enrty level camera and have narrowed it down to 2.

The canon 1100d which comes with 2 lens for $1049

canon.jpg

Annnnd the nikon d3100 for about the same dough but with 14.2 mp as opposed to the 12.2 of the canon

nikon.jpg

Now, as i'm a noob i'm open to suggestions of others if you think that there are better alternatives than these two so any help would be great.
Cheers.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I use Canon goodies, and prefer them. That being said, i bought my dad a nikon d3000 and dont regret it. Really its a matter of preference. Nikon do have a great tutorial mode on their entry level cameras though, good for figuring out what all the bits n pieces do. Whichever you get you will be happy with, unless you turn out to be a perfectionist. In which case you will spend a fortune on lenses lol.

Ideally at least two lenses would be good, something from 18mm up to around 55 is a good walkaround lens, then you want something from maybe 70ish up to 200 or so for zoom shots.

Neither camera would feel very sturdy to me because I use stronger stuff now, but as far as build quality goes, they are equal and more than satisfactory. Unless you abuse them, you wont have any trouble.

My suggestion, go to Teds and play with both cameras in the store and decide which you prefer. The extra resolution of the Nikon will not make as big a difference as you might think. Unless you're gonna do huge prints, you will rarely use the highest resolution. You will constantly find yourself downscaling them to upload them to facebook/photobucket.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I believe they both are, yes. Depending where you buy, you may get a genuine warranty or a third party 'Mack's warranty. You'll only get one of those if you buy a grey import online though, like from camerasdirect.com.au.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I'd go Grey market,

Canon EOS 60D Body kit+18-55mm IS + UV + HDMI | eBay

I got one of these babies, & then whacked on a 24-105mm L-series Lens.

An I love it to death, Both the cameras you put up are overly expensive, For nothing of any good.

The 60d isn't the best, But it is an amazing camera.

Just food for thought.

Cheers
Mat

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
An I love it to death, Both the cameras you put up are overly expensive, For nothing of any good.

These cameras will both take as good a photo as the 60d... The 60d is now just another prosumer body using cheaper internals and overall build to make canon more $$$

Juzo, there is next to no difference in the cameras you are looking at, go with what is comfortable. If you have friends with slr's ask what brands they use. It is handy being able to swap and borrow equipment between friends.

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Instead of downgrading a higher model to make a 60d like they used to do with the XXD series, they've taken a lower model and upgraded it. I had a 40d and I would take that over a 60d anyday.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Instead of downgrading a higher model to make a 60d like they used to do with the XXD series, they've taken a lower model and upgraded it. I had a 40d and I would take that over a 60d anyday.

Agreed there, same with 50d.

Juzo, looked into buying maybe a secondhand kit? a 40d/50d will get you a great start and usually all at a great price.