Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new car decisions

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Both run IRS rear ends with a control blade setup. You been looking at EA falcons?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
who gives a living toss about the rear????

when you say "its complicated" you should say "actually, ok, i realise for a second there i was talking crap, but im gonna admit that i dont really knwo much about suspension other than what ive read on forums" :p

difference between the macpherson strut and a double wishbone is the double keeps the tyre surface flat as it raises up and down. there is an added benefit of having the track of the car widening for more stability.

BUT when a macpherson goes up and down it travels in an arc. which means the camber increases and decreases just when you want it to, mid corner, heavy tramp youre on full camber and the inner tyre bites into the road.

so which car you choose is entirely down to the driver. there is no way you can say "this is better than that" because its all down to how you would prefer your car to behave.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ari Ford isn't MacPherson if that's what your referring to. It's a double control arm.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
23.jpg

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
when you say "its complicated" you should say "actually, ok, i realise for a second there i was talking crap, but im gonna admit that i dont really knwo much about suspension other than what ive read on forums"

LOL im trying to think of a reply where I dont sound like a giant cock but i cant think of one although i'll try my best... Once you start looking at suspension design its all inter-related, once you design for more comfort than grip while the compromises arent visible to the naked eye (well actually they arent visible at all lol) they are pre-built into the suspension and apart from changing pick up points and arm design you cannot overcome this.

Also mines a 2 door lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Once you start looking at suspension design its all inter-related, once you design for more comfort than grip while the compromises arent visible to the naked eye (well actually they arent visible at all lol) they are pre-built into the suspension and apart from changing pick up points and arm design you cannot overcome this.

so in your most sciency tone, tell me how coil overs affect this "pre built grip" you speak of

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
so in your most sciency tone, tell me how coil overs affect this "pre built grip" you speak of

Other than lowering your centre of gravity and changing your roll centre height for the car at its ride height the only thing that changes is the stiffer spring rates mean less roll and pitch in the car. The job of the spring/shock combination is more about ensuring the tyre has the best possible contact patch with the road at all times rather than generating grip if that makes sense.