Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New car key battery laws

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What tiny toys are you playing with?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Did we not have a baby boom after the Covid Lockdowns ?
Well, what else were they to do ?,
No going out,
Isolating
Lockdown

I am guessing people had to create their own fun at home ;)
Parents disposing of batteries from their toys :rolleyes:

So maybe this is were this button batteries issue was created from. :D
Dunno about what toys you're thinking of, but what I've seen so far in my sheltered life are gizmos that require a bit more amp hr capacity than a button battery can provide. The best you can get from button batteries are some twinkling lights and a bit of chintzy sound.
A couple of sturdy AAs at least, I would have thought would be be appropriate. (asking for a friend).
Difficult, but not impossible to swallow batteries that size, mind you I have read about some people......

Am I going off on a tangent?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Did we not have a baby boom after the Covid Lockdowns ?
Well, what else were they to do ?,
No going out,
Isolating
Lockdown

I am guessing people had to create their own fun at home ;)
Parents disposing of batteries from their toys :rolleyes:

So maybe this is were this button batteries issue was created from. :D

Good point...Or was it the parents creating the fun using a blunt point.... :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dunno about what toys you're thinking of, but what I've seen so far in my sheltered life are gizmos that require a bit more amp hr capacity than a button battery can provide. The best you can get from button batteries are some twinkling lights and a bit of chintzy sound.
A couple of sturdy AAs at least, I would have thought would be be appropriate. (asking for a friend).
Difficult, but not impossible to swallow batteries that size, mind you I have read about some people......

Am I going off on a tangent?

A big supply of button batteries were possibly used to ensure the toys were useable, even for a short period of time....:)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I view this as a clever way to wipe used cars off the roads. However, there is absolutely no new car supply to fulfil the needs of any one trying to replace a car electronically written off.

Holden VR-VZ keys are glued closed and not easy to open.

I can’t believe this.
I was reading this on another site.
The law does not affect second-hand key fobs that were first supplied before the requirements of the standard became mandatory.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I was reading this on another site.
The law does not affect second-hand key fobs that were first supplied before the requirements of the standard became mandatory.
The legislation states the following:

Application
  1. This instrument applies to consumer goods containing a button/coin battery.

Note: Goods include any component part of, or accessory to, goods: see paragraph (d) of the definition of goods in section 2 of the Australian Consumer Law.

2. For the purposes of subsection (1), consumer goods contain a button/coin battery if:

(a) the battery is installed, or is to be installed, in the consumer goods to power the consumer goods; or

(b) the consumer goods are designed to store such batteries.

3. However, this instrument does not apply to the following:

(a) consumer goods that were first supplied to a consumer before the application day

(b) consumer goods supplied in a one‑off transaction by a supplier who had acquired the goods as a consumer;

(c) hearing aids;

(d) equipment to which all of the following apply

(i) the equipment is intended to be used in trades, professions or industries;

(ii) the equipment is not intended for sale to the general public;

(iii) the equipment is not intended to be used where children are present;

(e) consumer goods that contain button/coin batteries that are soldered in place if:

(i) the consumer goods are electrical and electronic equipment within the field of audio, video, information and communication technology; or

(ii) the consumer goods are business and office machines with a rated voltage not exceeding 600 volts.

Note 1: Examples of consumer goods to which subparagraph (e)(i) applies include personal computers, electronic musical instruments and smartphones.

Note 2: Examples of consumer goods to which subparagraph (e)(ii) applies include cash registers, calculators and copying machines.
So even though you’ve bought a car and its keys before the thIs laws application date, 3(a) doesn’t apply to any replacement keys a dealer would supply to the public. All this clause means is that you can keep your car and it’s current keys and presumably sell it privately.

Oddly, even if the coin battery is soldered to the key, a replacement key still doesn’t comply with the industry sector exemptions specified in 3(e)(I).

As such, any new keys for your old vehicle must comply with this new legislation unless it’s an eBay seller who acquired the, prior to the application date (if I read 3(b) correctly?). If that’s true, expect replacement keys to be very expensive as the eBay whites take advantage of the limited scope to profit…

It gets even worse as almost all PCs have a non soldered CR2032 coin battery that simply pops into a coin battery holder on the motherboard. As such these PCs aren’t exempt either.

This legislation is hugely wide in its scope and will disadvantage all Australians as our market will require specific products be developed for this piddly pond and it will cost us all. Hopefully the market segments will speak up and the legislation will be narrowed via amendments but I wouldn’t hold my breath :oops:

[sarcasm]
Don’t worry too much, if your car is junked as a result… the legislation is well written so think of the children your saving :mad:
[/sarcasm]