Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New car key battery laws

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yeah right. Interesting to see if a bunch of used cars suddenly turn up at auction minus keys because unable to be sold

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'm not sure, but l don't think it would apply. Least not on the old fobs for (ex) vt. They are glued together. So the battery isn't easily accessible.

The vf fobs come apart easily dont they? The battery is easily accessible?

Don't know about ve fobs?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I'm not sure, but l don't think it would apply. Least not on the old fobs for (ex) vt. They are glued together. So the battery isn't easily accessible.

The vf fobs come apart easily dont they? The battery is easily accessible?

Don't know about ve fobs?

There’s an easy fix for Holden - glue lids on the VF style keys so that the battery can’t be removed, and so the whole key needs to be replaced when the battery goes flat! Win-win, it meets the new regulations and helps sell the stock of old keys! :)

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I called my brother who has a VE. Coincidentally, he had purchased a replacement key about a fortnight ago. The replacement key is fully sealed, i.e. it had been welded or glued up from new from Holden, so the battery is no longer removable. He did point out that it is still possible to purchase bare shells (from third parties?) so reshelling the sealed key when the battery goes flat is possible.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There’s an easy fix for Holden - glue lids on the VF style keys so that the battery can’t be removed, and so the whole key needs to be replaced when the battery goes flat! Win-win, it meets the new regulations and helps sell the stock of old keys! :)

And then charge rip off prices.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Forester has a battery cover that has to be unscrewed to access the battery. Thats after the cover has been removed. Clever idea, but it'll be interesting what happens over the next year or 2 with older style keys and fobs

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
This issue reads like an April 1st article. $400 to change a battery.
How many kids crack open a key fob with their clammy hands for the sole purpose of getting their hands on a battery to swallow?
Mine never swallowed a battery - does that mean they are smarter than the average bear?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Just had a look at one of our original VE key fobs. I can't get the bloody thing apart without inserting a tool into the side of it so I can't see a child pulling one apart to access the battery.

Remote controls for TV's and other electronic devices are more likely to be an issue than car key fobs.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Just had a look at one of our original VE key fobs. I can't get the bloody thing apart without inserting a tool into the side of it so I can't see a child pulling one apart to access the battery.

Remote controls for TV's and other electronic devices are more likely to be an issue than car key fobs.
The VE fobs are pretty secure, as to if they are secure enough to pass the legislation is another issue.

Ford Falcon and Territory owners will have bigger problems as the fob is literally just two pieces of plastic that clip together.